Stopping the tent collapsing under a heavy snow load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping the tent collapsing under a heavy snow load

I'd like to leave the prospector tent set up out in the bush and use it as a regular overnighter and warm up spot for winter ice fishing trips but worry about it collapsing under the snow load. How do others deal with this?
    Nobody's interested in what you didn't do.

Are you using a seven or nine pole set up, or just ropes? If you cut poles, you shouldnt have to worry.

Comment

I use 8 poles. 3 at back, 2 at front, ridge pole and two along the sides to pull the tent out. Bigger poles then?

Comment

I have removed the side wall pole uprights and let the sides down on the ground wedge tent style. You have to shovel the snow off the buried sides, but it stays up with no damage.

Comment

Originally posted by red langford View Post
          I use 8 poles. 3 at back, 2 at front, ridge pole and two along the sides to pull the tent out. Bigger poles then?
          How do you get the two front poles to stand up without the third making a tripod?

Comment

Turtle's idea is a good one. just untie the side walls if you are going to be gone for a while.

Comment

^^^ That's what I have done. I also throw a tarp over the ridge pole and weight it down with rocks and logs, but that's more for the wind.

If you do have to dig it out you may want to have a shovel with a plastic scoop with rounded corners to lessen the chance of ripping the material.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlingPitt View Post

How do you get the two front poles to stand up without the third making a tripod?
                Just magic I guess. It stays and is very stable. I’ve learned I don’t even have to tie the ridge pole up and it’s still very sturdy.

Comment

We also put an extra prop pole under the center span of the ridge pole for heavy snow.

Comment

Working...
                  X