No announcement yet.

Little Pic River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the armchair quarterbacking on YouTube is quite funny. So few people could pull a solo trip like this off

Comment

I just shared some of the video with Kathleen. She was pretty adamant that she’s not doing that trip.

Comment

It wont be a bad trip once the ports are re established. It was reportedly one of our most scenic trips.

Comment

Finished after work today. I've run a lot of stuff but always with a partner. There's a lot of what he didn't run I wouldn't solo as well but damn, cutting ports is not on my agenda! I hate sawing logs, just the wimp side of me showing!

Comment

Jonathan's trips and films keep getting better and better. Don't know how he can top this one.

Comment

I'm sure he will top this one, he's just a young fella!
              Last edited by memaquay; 10-17-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I'm repeating myself like that boring uncle who repeats the same story every time he sees you, that I appreciate this guys humour, honesty and humility. Character traits not often found in the hero worshipping world of Youtube. He mentions some interesting things, such as the amount of film time per trip that actually makes it into the final edited film, about 15 mins/day, and goes on to say how many other things happen throughout the day, every day but don't make it into the final film cut...port clearing, wood gathering, hammock hanging, loading up, unloading, scouting, map pondering etc. Mundane tasks that can and do add vital parts to a story told. It's not all pretty scenes and dreamy music. I like seeing some of the ordinary amongst the extraordinary. This guy sure does bring it. Another funny thing he mentions is how he's now questioning his soloing vs tripping tandem with his partner. The grueling work sure is divided having a partner and so is the emotional toll. Lastly he ends the trip saying how he always feels glad when it's over, but carries the best memories from it.

Comment

Thank you all for bringing these films to my attention. I enjoyed them last night from the comfort of my couch!

Comment

Rob, if we do a trip I'll bring Doritos and deodorant for all. And some improperly mixed fuel for the chainsaw.

Goonstroke, you captured the rationale for the fishing (which was a lot more limited than the videos might've suggested) perfectly. After spending hours cutting a trail solo with saws, you bet your ass I'm taking 5 minutes to test the pool at the bottom. Also, most of my fishing was in days 1 and 2 when I still maintained hope that I'd make up ground/time. After day 3 there was very little fishing. Not that I take any offense to the question, it's fair.

And yeah once the ports get better established, it won't be a bad route. And FYI, if you want to avoid the messy part, I'm told you could also bushwhack in from this cut:
                    https://goo.gl/maps/mES7Mb8hgRxjBjk9A
                    However that adds unknowns, and the shuttle drop off would take much longer.

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback folks
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/backcountryanglingontario

Comment

Welcome to this fire Jontario.

Comment

that was a great video, and arduous trip for sure. Jonathan you need to get a garmin inreach, ezpz to text the missus to have a chain saw air dropped in and let her know you're runnin' behind schedule. You have good manners too, After a few of those clearing sessions I would have released a brookie or two back into the net for dinner and smashed up some of those dorito's as corn meal to fry some trout.

Comment

Hahah thanks deerfly. Trouble is those specks were OOS. Was really hoping to get into spawning salmon south of the last waterfall, but the schedule didn't allow for that.

As for the inReach, I'm pretty adamant about disconnecting on trips unless it's a life-saving event, so we just have a PLB. Certainly would've liked the inReach on this trip but it was the exception.
                          https://www.youtube.com/c/backcountryanglingontario

Comment

Working...
                          X