• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Heading back to Labrador....

Reaction score
I heading east tomorrow to continue my exploration of Labrador.

This is a follow up to my 2018 trip starting from the Smallwood Reservoir to the George River and onward north to Ungava Bay.

This time I will be starting out just east of Labrador City on Ashuanipi Lake, travelling south to Oreway, then east on the Riviere L'eau Clair to Atikonak Lake. I will then turn north to the Atikonak River, the Ossokmauan Reservoir and then to the Smallwood Reservoir where I plan to end my trip at the same spot I started from last summer.

By recent standards it's a short trip at only about 450km, I will be travelling VERY slowly, taking plenty of layover days and instead of the most direct route exploring the lakes along the way. There are some rapids on the L'eau Clair but the majority of the trip is flatwater. There are possibilities for two early exit points if I get bored but I expect I'll complete the entire route and have set aside 40 days.

The only portion I've previously paddled is the Riviere L'eau Clair, part of my 2014 trip of brutality from Oreway to the Romaine and then on to the headwaters of the Natashquan before heading south to the St Lawrence.

You can find more details at the link below, a description of the trip, maps and my InReach tracking page.

http://www.recped.com/labrador2019

Be safe and I too will be following along. Sounds like a great adventure lies ahead of you. Will you be carrying a sidearm?

This is awesome- I did the exact same route from Oreway to the road crossing Ossokmanuan (Gabbro?- I'm seeing both names on maps.) in 1981 (when I was young.) I'm looking forward to the trip report and pictures.

Last edited:
I'm back from my trip!

The page has been updated with a brief note, a link to some pictures and the maps have been updated to reflect my actual route.

http://recped.com/labrador2019/

I'll try to get at least some details posted in the coming weeks.

Stunning views!

What did you pack with you for such a trip?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

What did you pack with you for such a trip?

All the usual excesses in terms of gear and as always far too much food even if I had been out there the full 40 days I planned for. For these long solo trips I start with about 100+kg (220lbs), I've cut back on some things but added others such as power banks which are heavy. For this trip like most that I do portages are usually infrequent so volume is more of an issue than weight.

I like to suffer in comfort whenever possible, I pay for it when portaging which is why I do many loads and take plenty of time. This trip had only one actual portage, on a road with very little incline.

Sacred ground. Still possible to go on a long trip and not see another human. Be careful out there.

Back