• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Yukon River 2019

Reaction score
Kathleen and I are considering paddling the Yukon River next summer from Whitehorse to Dawson City. This assumes that we can find a sitter for our Siberian husky. I know that people on this site have paddled the Yukon. In your opinion, what is the best time of year for this trip?

I have also read that Five Finger Rapids, on river-right, is no more than Class II. Do you agree with this?

Thanks.

FFR - depends on the year and the season. The Yukon River Quest is raced during the last week of June and in the 3 times I have run it, I have seen FFR roaring with 4 ft high standing waves that washed over us and at other times not much at all. Regardless, there is a fairly narrow slot of the relatively most safe route to take through it. I can give more details if you like. The Yukon 1000 mile race is at the end of July. Twice through, it is always calmer than it is for the YRQ. Either way, after a successful 15 seconds through you end up thinking "can I go back for another run?"

I'd say the photo below of us by photographer Harry Kern was during a medium level run on the YRQ.

3uSVuc2.jpg

Last edited:
YP has more experience than I for Five Finger Rapids but we have
taken the right finger and cut across the channel before the standing waves.
If not paying attention, it could be troubling!

It's a very enjoyable trip but fishing isn't great.

Be sure to read-up on Fort Selkirk and plan on spending a day there.
A great read is "Robert Campbell's Yukon".

Our last trip in that area was down the Teslin River from Johnson's Crossing
to Hootlingua where Teslin meets Yukon. From there on, it's big water.

The lakes forming the headwaters are also interesting [Atlin, Tagish, Bennett]

Scott McDougal at Kanoe People in Whitehorse provides great service and is on
the river.

There are daily flights from Dawson City to Whitehorse.

I hope you enjoy the trip.

I live 10 minutes walk from the river, i’ve paddled it many times... but not entirely!! The Whitehorse to Carmacks is great especially if the lake is nice and calm!! Fishing on the 30 mile is great and at Hootalinqua is also good especially for large northern pikes!!

I would say that mid June would be great but really anytime from breakup to early September is good with each period having its benefits!! There is definitely something special about the midnight sun so I would say end of June!!

Scott and Emily(his daughter) are indeed great people!!

let me know if you want more infos don’t hesitate to contact me!

Thanks, guys, for all your input. Much appreciated!

Canotrouge. Only a ten-minute walk from the river. Is that in Whitehorse?

Yes it is, just down the street we have a ww play spot where we spend a few evenings a week playing!

Only did once end of July in a very high water year
Take Husky Bus back from Dawson
They trailer canoes
FFR not much at that level. Avoid strong eddy line river right
Did not use spray skirt yet took on no water Other times may be different of course
Go to Mac's Fireweed books and get a good guidebook
Plan ahead. The river moves at 10 kph and last minute switching banks doesn't work

Only did once end of July in a very high water year

Plan ahead.The river moves at 10 kph and last minute switching banks doesn't work
Absolutely. I will speak from a canoe racing perspective. Fastest current is generally (though not always) on the side of the river with the highest or steepest bank, but you can't easily go from one side to the other at will. There are many conflicting currents in that river at different levels. Learn to read the surface riffles in deep water, and how they indicating converging, upwelling or diverging currents. If you want to go to one side or the other around an island or river bend, you better get into the desired current early before the river decides for you which way it wants to take you. Often when cruising in smooth current, shifting only a canoe length left or right may gain 1-2 mph or more. Look for riffles indicating current sheer.

Look for current changes and splits as far as a half mile before approaching an island or bend in the river and get over to where you want to be asap, lest the river will take you where it wants you to go. It can be impossible to paddle hard enough to change direction once a strong current has you moving in its direction, especially if a shallow gravel shoal (which is common) separates the currents. In the end it all flows downstream and will rejoin. But if you are racing, a misjudgment in current flow could cost you an additional mile or more in distance plus many extra minutes of time. You might even get shallowed out of paddleable water.

Get one of the river chart description books from Mac's (Mike Rourke's is the standard), study it, and study Google Earth as well. I created a GPS planning route in GE and use GE to "fly" over my route down the river, memorizing where to be around each island and bend.

You won't have to worry or learn about helicoidal surface currents much unless you go well below Dawson and get into and below the "flats" in the big wide sweeping river bends, but that current effect takes on an entirely different kind of strategy to efficiently navigate than what you may be accustomed to in lesser rivers.

Last edited:
I’m just wondering if anyone else on this site is planning to paddle the Yukon River this summer. As you might remember, Kathleen and I have a rescue Siberian husky, who still suffers from separation anxiety. A friend of ours was planning to come stay at our very rural property in Saskatchewan to look after him while we were away.

Unfortunately, she was recently diagnosed with a tumour, and will not be coming. We have not been able to find anyone else, and have revised our plans. We now plan to take him (Shadow) with us car camping for the five-day drive to Whitehorse, where we plan to arrive on Saturday, June 22. We will leave our gear and canoe in Whitehorse with Canotrouge, while we drive our van to Dawson City on Sunday, June 23. We have arranged to put a Shadow in a kennel just north of Whitehorse. We have B & B accommodation in Dawson City for Sunday, June 23. We have reservations on the Husky Bus to take us back to Whitehorse on Monday, June 24. We will put on the river on Tuesday, June 25, planning to reach Dawson 15 days later.

Any chance we’ll see any of you on the river?

- Michael

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan!
I'll be in the Southern Lakes Region [Atlin, Tagish] at that time so it's doubtful if we meet.

Enjoy!

Hope the river comes up
Right now its so low the ferry in Dawson cannit run
and the Klondike River can be waded
Snowmelt hopefully will change this situation

Hard to believe there is much snow left to make a significant difference in summer water levels. The YT had record high temperatures in March this year. The last time that happened, in 2009, with before ice out temperature of 90F for several days, there was severe flooding caused by early river break up and ice jams devastated towns and villages all along the way. Eagle was virtually wiped out. That apparently did not happen this year with a much lighter winter snow load. When I paddled the 1000 mile race in July of 2009 there was still enough flowing water, but the formerly tree lined shoreline appeared as if a giant cheese grater had swiped through everything anywhere near the river banks. High above normal water Islands were stripped bare of all vegetation. Giant trees in large groups lined the lower river shallows pointing downstream with upturned roots like sentinels marking their own death.

Last edited:
Really thin snow pack this year, really warm weather in march and right now(april was, well, april) Most of the water shed prevision sits at 80percent of normal. The ferry in Dawson wasn't running for more than just low water, same reason there isn't been an ice bridge over the river for the last few years, a large sand bar has formed close by causing all sort of trouble!!

Thanks, guys (guys in a kind of generic sense, YC) for the information about low water levels. If there’s no ferry and no ice road, how are people getting to West Dawson? Has this been a problem? My understanding is that the driver of the Husky Bus lives in West Dawson.

These conditions will make a longer trip for Kathleen and me, but that’s fine. We’re not in a hurry. Not good, though, for people wanting to set speed records on the Yukon River Quest. The race begins one day after Kathleen and I put in. Will be entertaing seeing the still-fresh competitors surge past us!

https://yukon.ca/en/driving-and-transportation/travel-yukon/find-sailing-times-yukon-ferries

I think the ferry ground out on a sandbar for a few hours.. There are lots of small boats that can run across the river if the ferry can't.

You have a window for delays.. The Stewart River junction with the Yukon River has lots of sand and gravel bars.. Just try to keep picking the correct channel!

As far as the Husky Bus owner living on the other side.. Well they are still running their business and this might be a good topic of conversation. Its a long ride Dawson to Whitehorse.
(for us it was kinda stinky.. We picked up one passenger who was going to WH to resupply and bathe)

Yellowcanoe,

how ate are you so recently knowledgeable about all things Yukon while living in Raymond, ME? Impressive! Do you have a local contact?

the bus leaves Dawson at noon, and arrives in Whitehorse at 7:00. Not so bad.

Yellowcanoe,

how ate are you so recently knowledgeable about all things Yukon while living in Raymond, ME? Impressive! Do you have a local contact?

the bus leaves Dawson at noon, and arrives in Whitehorse at 7:00. Not so bad.

No but I would like to meet Canotrouge! Retired we have been across Canada twice in the last five years .. Went to Yukon in 1996 and again in 2003 and 2014 and 2017. I remember most of what I saw..

Seems Husky has the same schedule as always has.. Its not so bad but its not fast.. Some of those bumps slow you.. 530 km. You do get some stretch stops. And the vehicle I understand has been updated. to be an actual bus.. We had a 15 passenger van. At any rate it is a bargain!

Someday you will come east for the summer long feast of the Blackfly in Newfoundland/Labrador which is much closer to me. The feast started today but summer has not yet. ( snowed a couple of days ago)

BFF does not mean best friends forever.
BFF does mean Blackfly Feeding Frenzy.. Or BFFF if you prefer

Back