• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Secret Lake Adventure

Reaction score
Every year, I run a little four day canoe trip for my non-canoeing friends. It revolves around eating, drinking, fishing and being merry. For the past three years we have gone to the magical Eaglecrest Lake, but I was bored of the stunning scenery down there and decided to mix it up.

We took off for a Secret Lake, known for its beaches, fish and wolf packs. I had my two 20 foot cedar strip canoes, my 18.5 foot cedar strip Quetico and my new Square Stern. As always, we had to pile tons of coolers and comfort items into the barges.

caM63Rf.jpg

sKjVj7G.jpg

Some liquid courage was dispensed before the gruelling 5 kilometre paddle ahead of us.

iqD1Nqn.jpg

Upon arrival, tents were quickly set up, three on the beach and two in the bush.

wQtEQXn.jpg

Canoes littered the beach like driftwood.

hQRFgWC.jpg

yliwNYP.jpg

The first night was spent in fine form, practicing the age old art of bullshitting.

GdvZzIV.jpg

The evening wore down with a beautiful sunset.

Ow1AH4U.jpg

The next day we spent exploring, paddling down Secret River to another beautiful Lake. Sunburns made for an early night.

w2cFxOt.jpg

The third day we fished until about seven at night, finally locating some elusive walleye. Here’s my buddy showing the ladies how to fish.

EyUfPSg.jpg

We had two more parties join us as well, one of them actually in a kayak (gasp). The kitchen was in full swing.

c3Xhd2w.jpg

One of our friends found a new pet.

8vVtTJt.jpg

I read about a neat little oven for coleman stoves either on this website or winter tripping. Anyway, it’s very cool and works great.

Yayfglf.jpg

I baked a two layer cake, one layer at a time.

x8Q2hgV.jpg

It was one of our buddy’s birthdays, and it came out pretty good.

225OOD5.jpg

After that, everything went sideways, and the best beach party ever ensued, complete with limbo and dancing till the wee hours of the morning.

YhorAIF.jpg

Eventually, the night quieted down.

KER96Ch.jpg

We left the next day, having had a great time. I gotta go on a solo trip next week though, get some quiet time in before school starts.

Mem - I think many will reconsider the idea of going lightweight after seeing these great photos! Thanks for bringing us along. I'm especially happy to see your Coleman oven photo. My wife just found one we got years ago while cleaning out our basement. Looks like I should put it to good use on a trip this winter. Thanks for the nudge to do so.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

The secret's out now. Great looking place, party and trip. Thanks for reminding me we are boring sad people leading a futile existence down here. Man I gotta find that secret.
Thanks mem.

ps . I think you and mrs. memequay have found your calling. Running a charter cedar strip cruise company hosting hedonistic cocktail parties (northern style) on a selected secret shore. Where do we sign up and when do we get started?

Last edited:
Ha Ha 17 pics and only one of people in a canoe...Looking Good!! and Happy Anniversary to Your beautiful wife Irene and You Memaquay.

WOW I thought we went heavy on the Allagash!

I also like to introduce Newbs to canoeing, its great to watch them "Get it".

Thanks for the post

By gawd that looks like fun, and reminds me of group trips long ago; beverages beyond reason, backwoods birthday parties. Friend Tom’s birthday celebration where all of his “gifts” secretly prearranged to be pink. Who knew they made bright pink dry bags and other accessories.

Massive camp kitchens and groaning bar tables, foodstuffs enough for a village, beers that wouldn’t (yet, give us time) fit in the coolers, white man bonfires.

I think I’m a good judge of facial character. Wimmen folks who give as good as they get in repartee?

Can I come next time? I’ll try to have the 2.5HP Suzuki on the 20 foot Prospector.

Holly molly that is a lot of stuff.... Next you'll need a 24 foot Freighter 5 feet wide!!!!

I have to ask, did you guys actually forget to bring anything? :)

looks like a hoot, well, except for the cargo transfers anyway...

Ummm, think we forgot a can opener. Canotrouge, don't get the fever into me, been thinking it's time to build something over 20 feet.

Back