Day two
Time for some mileage to cover Willard Lake

IMG_3409_zpsbs4ewpfx.jpg

A nice short port with a good trail to get on to Felix Lake

IMG_3425_zps3hq0is6t.jpg

And time for some more paddling up to Dawson Lake

IMG_3446_zpsbtq2lpkm.jpg

IMG_3479_zpsp14cwdbb.jpg

And another port with a little hill climb beside the falls at Dawson Lake Leading into upper Beaubien Lake.

IMG_3488_zpsobmg9xjq.jpg

IMG_3509_zpsawle6ao7.jpg

IMG_3525_zpsyhddsgjv.jpg

Then time for some distance on Beaubien Lake after leaving Dawson Lake

IMG_3533_zps76rfkmac.jpg

And the wickedly nice Beaubien Falls

Middle Falls

IMG_3566_zpslgnzst6t.jpg

Lower Falls

IMG_3583_zpsr5kluzlj.jpg

IMG_3588_zpscvhgzgo3.jpg

View from the bottom looking up at the two falls

IMG_3600_zpszf0tqb6z.jpg

This would be interesting with a foot less of water…

IMG_3606_zpsu2amb56n.jpg

IMG_3618_zps9yd3eoqt.jpg

From High lake to Low Lake was interesting. Top of the upper Falls, lots of noise and a huge roar warned of what was hidden from view. I did not see this set as I had to go back a bit along the shoreline to find the port going up and over the big hill and the opposite down slope

IMG_3632_zpsvllx7kcx.jpg

Hard to show the scale of this in the picture but a great set of steps in this wickedly nice set of falls

IMG_3637_zpsw6nwgbb2.jpg

And a nice cliff on the exit run

IMG_3654_zpscyifyk0j.jpg

IMG_3661_zps9g6dxxnj.jpg

Then some more distance to the Low Lake to Crane Lake Ports…

IMG_3665_zpsml4qp9xi.jpg

IMG_3674_zpso3njpng4.jpg

What not to do when entering a canoe.. My little slip made for a nice wet seat and I was grateful to have all my gear in waterproof containers including the food!

IMG_3683_zpsntzluxhr.jpg

IMG_3687_zpsh0vmz3qk.jpg

That was after the first port so a few more barriers yet before getting to Crane Lake

IMG_3696_zpssxkkkwij.jpg

IMG_3699_zpsm4oswytm.jpg

Dinner on the shoreline and then on to the last leg of my trip, glad that it is a much warmer day today!

IMG_3711_zps1qfekspx.jpg

IMG_3720_zpsv5clchvz.jpg

With the sun in the eyes for the last few kilometers. Wishing I had remembered my shades!

IMG_3737_zpsnieyb1c2.jpg

IMG_3742_zpse6sijzmk.jpg

A great trip with a wickedly fun few extras thrown in and a very cold first afternoon and night with the headwind over the cold waters. I rushed this trip and finished in two days. Would be more relaxed doing it in three days but I was unsure of the ports and what would be required for the trails etc. Will have to drag a buddy with next time and do a proper sightseeing tour next time! Epic first trip for the start of the year!

Last edited:
There are just so many awesome places to go around here. You find the good ones. I bet all the ADK crew were drooling big time ...a lot of it looks like what they have.
Christy

I agree 'Great Trip' and a great choice of canoe's

Thanks, after a few years I am still sold on this being my best choice for a solo tripper for me. Was happy to have the light weight too!

There are just so many awesome places to go around here. You find the good ones. I bet all the ADK crew were drooling big time ...a lot of it looks like what they have.
Christy

Thanks! I had my eye on your last trip report too as that looks like a great area as well. I am trying to talk a pal into 4x4ing into the lake to see if that's possible. I have been googling that river for all its fun!

This trip is a great one with several wickedly nice water falls and challenges. I did the math on my dual carry and I went from 1055 meters up to triple that for the extra trip at each port. Did a whole lot of extra walking on this trip! I would highly recommend this trip for your next long weekend! Might want to park at Willard lake if you have a car!

Nice trip in beautiful country. Looks like you're really trimming and slimming the gear, travelling light.
Must've made the portages a pleasure.
Do you take city water rather than boiling/treating lake water, or was that ballast?

One of my coworkers took the mine haul road from the Pine Falls end and the pictures he has are not bad but you would want to have two vehicles as the road has deteriorated over the years. There is a ditch at the ends too to deter use. It does look as if one can get right to the river just short of the lake. A quad would probably be a better bet. I was contemplating a hike actually. There may already be a boat cache on the lake??

I will see if I can get the pics of the haul road. Karin had suggested Cat Creek as an access route but it looks even narrower than the Maskwa.

Brad....a jug of water would make things a bit simpler for a 2-3 day solo. Not quite as practical for group trips though. I usually start the day with 3-4 aluminum cans of water (1.0li) and work on them as needed for drinking. We start a new bag of water as soon as we make camp.

ICE....I was looking at a tent like that too. What size did you get and from where? It looks ideal.

Christy

I usually start the day with 3-4 aluminum cans of water (1.0li) and work on them as needed for drinking.
Christy

Aluminum cans of "water". Suuuurrre you do. And mem does too. (lol)!
Seriously though, if you don't scoop and sip straight from the rivers/lakes then processing water can be time consuming I know. I try to have 2-4 L of water ready during the day, and often it's not enough.

Ice...where is this area exactly?

Last edited:
Nice pictures, it's great yo guys are getting out so early. Any moose sightings, or caribou?

Nice trip in beautiful country. Looks like you're really trimming and slimming the gear, travelling light.
Must've made the portages a pleasure.

Do you take city water rather than boiling/treating lake water, or was that ballast?

Thanks, the light weight gear is a plus! I had water with just as a trial run but will be traveling with just two 1lt water bottles and a filter pump next time.

One of my coworkers took the mine haul road from the Pine Falls end and the pictures he has are not bad but you would want to have two vehicles as the road has deteriorated over the years. There is a ditch at the ends too to deter use. It does look as if one can get right to the river just short of the lake. A quad would probably be a better bet. I was contemplating a hike actually. There may already be a boat cache on the lake??
I will see if I can get the pics of the haul road. Karin had suggested Cat Creek as an access route but it looks even narrower than the Maskwa.

Brad....a jug of water would make things a bit simpler for a 2-3 day solo. Not quite as practical for group trips though. I usually start the day with 3-4 aluminum cans of water (1.0li) and work on them as needed for drinking. We start a new bag of water as soon as we make camp.

ICE....I was looking at a tent like that too. What size did you get and from where? It looks ideal.

Christy

I have driven the haul road complete and part of the entry road to the lake up to a huge beaver dam that took out the trail. I want to revisit this in the summer time to inspect it better. I had thought they were planing to remove the small bridge at the start of the lake access road to limit access too. I went and rechecked my old pictures from my 4x4 adventures on this area.

The water bottles were nice but not ideal for the number of ports (15) needed on this trip

The tent is a 1.25kg MSR 2 person tent which is really a solo tent with elbow room - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-115/Freelite-2-Tent

Aluminum cans of "water". Suuuurrre you do. And mem does too. (lol)!
Seriously though, if you don't scoop and sip straight from the rivers/lakes then processing water can be time consuming I know. I try to have 2-4 L of water ready during the day, and often it's not enough.

Ice...where is this area exactly?

Lol at the aluminum drink cans too! I normally have 2lt of filtered water and refill as required.

Google Maps - For the Beaubien Falls location which puts you right in the loop... 49.846936, -94.091427

Nice pictures, it's great yo guys are getting out so early. Any moose sightings, or caribou?

Thanks, was a great start to the tripping as this was a new loop for me to try. Was not sure if I could connect it all in one trip. I had several beavers and a few loons say hi but no moose or caribou. Maybe next trip!

Last edited:
Thanks for the locale info; so near (to the HWY) and yet so far (from the world). I've got to remember this little gem if I'm ever wandering that far with racked canoe. Beauty. Full.

Last edited:
Thanks for the locale info; so near (to the HWY) and yet so far (from the world). I've got to remember this little gem if I'm ever wandering that far with racked canoe. Beauty. Full.

This little trip was a great find! There was so many different types of terrain from tight swamps to shallow creek to large lake areas, never mind all the trails and waterfalls etc. Worth the effort and would rate this as one of my best to date. I might have been just a little happy that there is open water too! Lol

I saw that, but preferred the web seat. I just ordered a Prospector 16 in Textreme Carbon Fiber yesterday.

I saw that, but preferred the web seat. I just ordered a Prospector 16 in Textreme Carbon Fiber yesterday.

Wow, very nice! I hope that pictures and a trip report will follow as soon as your new Prospector arrives!!! Congrats on the new canoe. Looks like you have the best of both worlds.

that was great, looked like an awesome trip. Beautiful canoe too.

I have to wait until 24 July. I'm picking it up at the Swift Algonquin Store and taking it into the Park for an 8 day Shack Down Cruise

that was great, looked like an awesome trip. Beautiful canoe too.

Thanks, was very happy with the trip and the canoe is all that I could ask for!

I have to wait until 24 July. I'm picking it up at the Swift Algonquin Store and taking it into the Park for an 8 day Shack Down Cruise

Will be a great trip for you with the new canoe! Enjoy and take lots of pictures! Lol

Back