• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Three days on the Namewaminikan

Reaction score
Eighteen kids and three chaperones departed for the low waters of the Namewaminikan River this past weekend. Weather on Saturday was beautiful, light winds and 18 degrees. A short instructional session was held, and the Outers proceeded to zig zag down the shallow waters of the Nam.

After a couple of hours of paddling, we decided to pull into Peterson lake to have lunch. There was a small channel that normally connected the lake to the river, but it was dried up. We trudged through the mud to get to the large beach. A full variety of animal tracks were apparent, including moose, bear, wolf, lynx and Sandhill Cranes.

A short set of rapids immediately after the lake had turned into a riffle, and all Outers were able to shoot them without incident.

Our intention had been to travel to Expansion Lake, but when we reached the portage, the water was very low on the west side, perhaps requiring dragging through mud for several hundred meters. We decided to cut out a campsite on the port. After an hour or so of chainsawing, a beautiful site emerged.

Boy's tent on the new site

Falls by the port

Nurse’s tent perched on the edge of the falls

The portage signs that I placed there in 2004 were still hanging on both ends of the port.

One of the girls found a little frog. I’m not up on my frog identification, but I was thinking it was a tree frog.

We had a great meal of hamburger helper, and the camp retired fairly early. For many of the grade nines, this little excursion was probably one of the longest days they had ever worked.

The next morning, there was a commotion around the boy’s tent. One of them had set a couple of rabbit snares the night before. However, no rabbits were caught. Instead, a common red squirrel had somehow managed to die in the rabbit snare. Being good hunters, they could not let his death be in vain, and they cooked the little fella for breakfast.

Everyone, except the staff, had to sample a small piece. The opinions on taste ranged from not bad to gagging.

After a leisurely breakfast of boiled eggs, sausages, and rodent, we began the trek back to Coral lake. The exit was a one canoe launch right above the chute for the falls. It took some time, but by 11:00 we were all back on the water.

Exit on the portage

As we paddled back upstream, the clouds and wind began to move in.

When we got to the small set of rapids, Staff encouraged all canoes to try to paddle upstream through them. All ten canoes were successful, with a series of very loud encouraging shouts.

We crossed Coral Lake just as the wind began to really blow. By 3:00 PM we had the tarps and tents set, just as the rain began to fall. It was a long evening of drenching rain that didn’t let up until 9:00 PM.

Kitchen tarp

Tent Setting

The next morning dawned clear and cool, with no hint of rain. A superb breakfast of bacon and bagels was served.

The Ripster cuts the meat.

Canoes at 7:30 AM

We were back at the launch by 11:00, where we were plagued by vehicle problems. The trailer needed a tire changed, and the bus lost it’s brakes on the way home. However, by 2:00 PM, the tents had been hung to dry and the canoes were put away. The next trip will probably be a winter trip, in February or March.

Nice looking trip. Beautiful weather to kick things off, followed by wind and rain to make things adventurous for the new kids. It's really cool to see them all out there tripping, and 18 sounds like quite the crowd to control. Thanks mem, I look forward to these trips as much as they do. But...a school bus with no brakes??? Since when did a school bus driver ever use them?
Are winter trips a new thing? That sounds interesting.

It's great to see these kids out on trips. Our local school once did more tame type trips but now they don't do anything. It's really a shame so it's great to see you still getting them out and into the woods & waters of your area.

Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

One red squirrel divided between 18 people. Welp, I’m full.

Is that a spare PFD I noticed atop the gear in one canoe?

Are these students from your Outers club only, or do you have some students from the co-op option there as well? How is the new programme running?

How far did that squirrel taco go?

I love seeing kids be able to get out. So many school programs deem canoeing too risky..

yikes a school bus with no brakes? Two years ago the brakes went out on a jeep towing a haywagon killing one teenager and injuring a dozen.. That gave me the willies. The driver was acquitted of criminal charges yesterday

That was great, low water everywhere! So many kids, well done with getting them all home. That little critter on the grill would have fit right in a cold handle frying pan with some Klik on the side....ummmm..yummy

Back