• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Sadie's Bloodvein Trip Report

Reaction score
You've already seen a lot of what I went through on the trip, the rain and the drenching in those darned rapids Alan insisted on running, but for me there was more to the trip than just that.

It started early Friday afternoon when we left work early. That's not such a big deal but I knew something good was going to happen when Alan started messing around with backpacks. I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon outside, sitting next to the car, so that I wouldn't miss out on the fun.

20150918_001 by Alan, on Flickr

He spent all afternoon and evening running around the house digging through boxes and throwing things in different piles. Just after dark he finally started putting it all in the car and loaded up the canoe. By 10:00 that night we were on the road. It was a long drive....a REALLY long drive.

We slept that night somewhere in northern Minnesota next to a lake. I thought it was our destination and was really excited to go canoeing and walking but instead we just kept driving. Man was I bored! It was really hot too. We'd stop every now and again for a short walk and Alan would sometimes make me get all the way in the water to cool off. I don't like getting all the way in the water.

We drove that whole day and finally got to Red Lake just after dark. I wanted to get out for a run so bad but it was starting to storm and Alan said he was tired and wanted to get a good night's sleep. He said to not worry, that I didn't know what was in store for the next day and that I wouldn't be bored again for a long time. Was he ever right about that!

The next day didn't start off a whole lot more promising. We'd slept in the car on some dirt road outside town but instead of going for a hike when we woke up we drove back to town where I had to stay in the car while Alan went inside to talk to some guy. After what seemed like hours of waiting he finally came back out and we drove out of town again. I wasn't getting my hopes up until we turned off on a gravel road. I like gravel roads. Good things always happen when we drive on gravel roads. Even though it was chilly Alan left my window down so I could smell outside. It was like sensory overload! Now I was really starting to get excited.

When we finally parked the car there were some other people who were just loading up their canoe. They were nice guys and petted me while Alan started unloading all the gear and our canoe. I'd never seen Alan make such a big fuss about going paddling. I kept thinking, "Just grab a paddle and life jacket and let's go already!" But he kept digging through bags and looking in the car to make sure he didn't forget anything. Finally, just when he seemed to have everything ready and I thought we'd start he made me pose for a dumb picture.

20150816_001 by Alan, on Flickr

Then we were finally off! First we ran through the woods a short distance before putting the canoe in a small lake. I say 'we' but I really mean 'I'. Alan didn't run anywhere the whole trip. He was constantly lagging behind and I had to keep doubling back on my trail to make sure he hadn't keeled over dead or something. It only took a little while to paddle across the lake and then Al told me to "get out" when we got close to shore, or something resembling a shore anyway. When I jumped out the ground under the grass kind of sunk away and shook. It was then I knew this wasn't going to be a normal paddle. I had no idea what was in store for me.

I'll write more later. Alan wants his computer back.

Sadie

Last edited:
Nice typing Sadie ! Maybe you could give me lessons !

Jim

Sadie sit. Sit! Good girl. Now go bark out the front window, make Alan think there's something wrong in the front yard. Keep barking out the front window while he heads out the door. As soon as he's gone get back on the computer and finish this trip report. Good girl.
And whatever you do don't let Alan take any credit for your excellent report.
Good girl.

Good girl Sadie.

On the video I noticed your reproachful glance back at Alan when you took a faceful of water and kinda hoped you would have something to say. I also noticed that when you hear rapids coming you like to stand up and have a look ahead. Can’t say as I blame you; stick Alan up in the wet end and see how he likes it.

I wasn't getting my hopes up until we turned off on a gravel road. I like gravel roads. Good things always happen when we drive on gravel roads.

I agree about gravel roads, and I lack your appreciation for what I suspect is a vastly improved variety of smells and scents over stinky blacktop.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

I recently watched the movie "My Talks With Dean Spanley". An emotionally charged movie about relationships, and the rather curious case of a fellow who while under the intoxicating influence of a particular Brandy, reminisces about his previous life as a dog. What I found especially intriguing was hearing the fellow describe his former canine perspective of the world; everything from his relationship with his master to his reasons for baying at the full moon. Also the world of communication through scent is discussed. Tremendous movie. You'll never look at a dog the same way again. I was thinking of this movie as I watched Sadie running around the forest, smelling everything as she ran. Sensory overload.

I recently watched the movie "My Talks With Dean Spanley". An emotionally charged movie about relationships, and the rather curious case of a fellow who while under the intoxicating influence of a particular Brandy, reminisces about his previous life as a dog. What I found especially intriguing was hearing the fellow describe his former canine perspective of the world; everything from his relationship with his master to his reasons for baying at the full moon. Also the world of communication through scent is discussed. Tremendous movie. You'll never look at a dog the same way again. I was thinking of this movie as I watched Sadie running around the forest, smelling everything as she ran. Sensory overload.

Never seen the movie, but on that recommendation I will.

I do sometimes ponder how much of the sensory world I am missing. The only things I seem to have a sharp nose for are dead mammals, mold and Vinylester epoxy.

Visually I am profoundly colorblind, although I have excellent night vision. And, as a trade-off, I can spot the silhouette of a hawk in a tree at 300 yard (the colorblind proved to be the best airplane spotters in WWII).

The entire range of senses outside normal human perception, sight and smell and hearing……dang, we miss so much of what goes on around us.

Not that I really want to get down and sniff someone’s territorial urine marker, or see what a stranger’s butt smell like.

Come to Iowa Mike ! I'll introduce you to the sweet aroma of a Hog confinement, or a Chicken egg prodution plant. Talk about sensory overload !
In Iowa Hogs out number people, 10 to 1.

It's enough to turn you into a vegetarian !

Jim

Last edited:
While I might not have known what to expect I was far from impressed by the end of day one. It was chilly and rained on and off. I thought we'd just go back to the car where it was warm and dry but Alan kept pushing on. We didn't make camp until late that night and I was exhausted. I hadn't napped all day. I didn't know where I was supposed to sleep and was very happy when Alan pulled out a bed for me. He'd cut the foot box off and old sleeping bag and had Debbie (his mom) sew it back up. He thought I should sleep inside of it but I was happier sleeping on top, even if it was a bit cold.

20150816_012 by Alan, on Flickr

20150820_014 by Alan, on Flickr

After that things got a lot better. Next day the weather was nice and sunny and I was taking my morning nap in the canoe when I heard Alan whispering "“deer".” I never miss an opportunity to stare at those sonsabitches so I jumped up and started looking around. What I saw was the ugliest danged deer I ever laid eyes on. There were two of them standing side by side in the water, a big one and a little one. Long gangly legs and dark brown with a hump on their backs and a big stupid looking nose They smelled funny too. Alan quit calling them deer and kept repeating some other word I couldn't understand. We saw a few more during the trip and Alan said the same word each time but I can't remember what it was. I wasn't quite sure what to think of these things but I can tell you one thing for sure; if one turned and ran the other direction I would have more than happy to chase it.

And so the days went. We'd paddle most of the day and then get out every now and again for a walk. The walking was my favorite part even though we did it kinda funny. Instead of taking a long walk we'd just walk back and forth over the same short trail 5 times before getting back in the canoe. But that was ok. There were usually grouse or squirrels or chipmunks alongside the trail that I could stare at and and there were almost always frogs in the grass next to the river. I like staring at frogs. Sometimes when I was feeling tired I'd lay down for a quick nap while Alan walked back for another load.

20150822_003 by Alan, on Flickr

One time we got out of the canoe and right away I smelled a bear. I started growling and barking to scare it off and let Alan know something was wrong. We didn't see it because it was so brushy but I knew one had been there just before we arrived. I thought it was strange at such a serious time for Alan to sing while we were walking down the trail. He does a lot of things I don't understand though. When we were getting back in the canoe he rubbed my ears and told me I was a good dog. I was surprised because he normally just tells me to shut up when I try to warn him about things, like when deer or turtles venture into our yard.

I figured we'd do this for a week or so, like last time, but we just kept going and going. I've always adapted well to new situations so I just settled into the new routine and it didn't really bother me at all. Except for my feet. My feet aren't used to running on all this rock. They got red and kind of itched and it felt really good to lick and bite them. But every time I did Alan would tell me not to. I'd try and sneak off a ways to the edge of camp but he'd still see me and tell me to stop. I couldn't even bite them in the middle of the night without him making me stop. As punishment for biting my feet he started sticking pills down my throat twice a day. But the licking and biting must have worked because my feet started to feel better.

It was a lot of work. We ran and worked so hard during the day I was content to just find a spot to curl up and sleep when we stopped for lunch or made camp for the night; after I'd done some frog hunting of course. There was almost always a soft spot where I could curl up in the grass but even if it was only rock I was still comfortable. The key to getting comfortable on rocks is finding the right contours to fit your body.

20150914_009_1 by Alan, on Flickr

20150827_002 by Alan, on Flickr

20150907_008 by Alan, on Flickr

20150913_002 by Alan, on Flickr

P8190078 by Alan, on Flickr

I was thoroughly enjoying myself until we started to get farther downstream. We'd been walking around all the rapids but now Al started to paddle through some of them. This made me very nervous and I did not like the water that would splash over the bow one bit. Each time we'd approach a rapid I'd point out to Al all the nice landing spots where we could get out and walk but he'd just keep going. In some sadistic way he seemed to enjoy it.

But we managed to get through them all and after a couple weeks we paddled to a really big lake that I couldn't even see across. There were a lot of houses on shore and people out fishing in boats. I really wanted to get out because I knew those people would want to pet me but Alan just turned around and started paddling back up the river. I asked him why we couldn't get out so the people could pet me and he said because he feels awkward around groups of people like that. I was sad and I could tell Al kind of was too.

But when we got to our campsite that night Alan got all excited about some little piece of thin wire he found laying on a rock. I couldn't quite understand what he was saying but he kept talking about fishing and not having to worry about those stupid pike anymore. Whatever he was rambling about the long and short of it was that we fished for the first time in quite a while that evening and caught a lot of walleye. I sure do like to fish. I like to stare at the rod tip and then stare at the fish when they get reeled in. Sometimes I try to bite them but Al tells me that's not nice. That night Al said we were celebrating something. He ate a big bar of chocolate and I got some special dog food. He said things were going to get harder now, that we'd have to walk around the rapids instead of paddling down them. Sounded good to me!

Not much changed for me but Alan was right, we walked a lot more. I kind of liked it but Alan did a lot of grumbling. We met a lot of people that talked funny on the way upstream. Alan said they were Europeans. I'd never met anyone from Europe before. They were nice people and petted me. Europeans are ok in my book. There was this one gal from Australia I thought was especially nice. Al said he liked her too.

After we'd been paddling upstream for a week or so Al turned off onto a new river with new sights and smells. As far as I could see it wasn't really much different than the river we'd been on but it was nice to smell some new trails. We were only on this river a few days before pretty soon it wasn't a river at all but instead big lakes. Al kept smiling and said we wouldn't have to walk very much anymore. I didn't think that was anything to smile about. I started to get bored having to ride in the boat all day with only two or three walks. But the good news was we'd been stopping earlier in the day so I had more time to hunt frogs around camp before it got dark.

We stayed at one camp an extra long time. Alan said we had to wait until the plane came and brought us more food. As soon as we got to camp I found a hole in the ground. I like holes in the ground. This one was different because there were big bugs flying in and out of it. I like big bugs too. So I stuck my nose in the hole to see what it smelled like and that's when I stopped liking holes in the ground and big bugs too. One of them bit me and started chasing me around camp. I didn't know if I should run away from it or try to eat it. Alan suggested I not try to eat it. I didn't like that experience one bit.

Finally the dang thing left me alone and I went back to sniffing things that didn't bite, like frogs. But after a while I was drawn back to that hole. I'd decided I liked holes in the ground again and this one was irresistible with those bugs constantly streaming in and out. Alan told me to leave it alone so I did....for a while. But every now and again I'd creep back over that way, just to look. I like to look at things.

The next day the plane came and the pilot petted me. I liked him. Alan said now we were rich and could eat like kings. The rest of the trip went fast. Alan said we'd probably take our time but instead he paddled long and hard. The weather was bad. It was cold and windy and rainy. We were paddling across mostly large lakes and it wasn't very interesting. Waves were splashing over the bow. I didn't like that. It reminded me of being in the rapids.

Finally we turned onto a small creek and it was really nice. The wind wasn't blowing here and we were right next to shore on both sides of the canoe. There were lots of ducks flying out of the grass. It smelled really good. After a couple hours we walked over to a little lake that smelled familiar. Alan told me that when we got to the other side there was a surprise. It didn't take too long but when we got out of the boat I didn't see any surprises. Alan grabbed a pack, just as usual, and we walked up a small hill. I could hardly believe what I saw when we got to the top. It was our car! I'd forgotten we even had a car and now here it was right in front of me. I was pretty excited. Al walked back down the hill for the rest of our gear but I just stayed there by our car.

And that was it. Al loaded up the gear and we started the long, really long drive back home. Again we stopped to sleep in northern Minnesota but this time we went for a long walk down a gravel road and ate dinner next to a river. It smelled familiar. Al told me we'd spent a couple days canoeing down this river the summer he became my owner and that we'd camped at this spot. Then I remembered. It had been cold that night. I'd never slept outside before and I wandered all over camp and wouldn't settle down. I was much more experienced now. Now I was a canoe dog.

If anyone is thinking about going down the Bloodvein river I'd highly recommend it. It's some of the best frog hunting you'll ever find.

Sadie

Last edited:

Hey Sadie, Memaquay showed me your pictures. I think you would look pretty sweet with your collar off. I'd like to make puppies with you, if that dang human hadn't cut my doodads off. Till next time,

Your pal Tobie

Hey Sadie, Memaquay showed me your pictures. I think you would look pretty sweet with your collar off. I'd like to make puppies with you, if that dang human hadn't cut my doodads off. Till next time,

Your pal Tobie

Tobie:

I'll have you know that I'm a lady and such forwardness is not appreciated. But that being said Alan said your owner seemed like a nice guy and I've found that most dogs that ride in canoes aren't bad at all. Alan says stupid things to people he meets all the time without realizing it so I'll let this one slide. I'd like to get together and hunt frogs sometime. Maybe we could stare at grouse together too.

Sadie

Thanks for the excellent report Sadie. Sadly too many humans don't take the time to share the good times.

Watch out for that Tobie, he's up to no good. He's probably pretty sassy when he gets his nose in the Bud Lite. Ruin you reputation for sure.

Back