• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

3rd trip report, May 24-25 Tulabi Falls to Elbow Lake, Nopiming Park, Manitoba

Reaction score
Another trip report, this time a little lighter on gear 90lbs with everything, including the canoe. Single carry on the portages and with a 1122 meters to carry in total, that was way better than three loads per port! :D 24km the first day and three portages and 18km the second with the same three portages again.

Started with a drop in at the park rangers office and a short chat later I now know that all that is required is a park pass and no trip plan or timeline is required. GTG! Great staff there too both on the trip in and during the return load up.

Park Office Lodge
May24to25-14123_zps1ffc3ed0.jpg

A short visit to the falls and away I went!

May24to25-14129_zps0c0d460f.jpg

Video

Launch time was 11:30am, I need to start getting up in the am!
May24to25-14137_zps6aa2ce24.jpg

May24to25-14145_zps0e0e34f3.jpg

May24to25-14159_zps74561caf.jpg

Start of the 155 meter port. Time to try the single carry for the first time! Can I handle the load? Was huffing hard at the start of this trip! Need to get in shape again. So nice with the newer trail as no more sink holes that were deeper than the boots. The trail was dry on this trip but in the rain I remember this being fun!

May24to25-14166_zps2ea3207e.jpg

May24to25-14167_zpsf3d01c25.jpg

At the end of the 155m port you can look across the lake and see the start of the next port...

May24to25-14176_zpsb0edb6ca.jpg

This 376m port is the fun one, glad that they have steps in place now as the mud slide of old is gone, still a long walk for when you have weight on. (I know I am weak! Lol)

May24to25-14187_zpscdac3e7a.jpg

May24to25-14191_zps6de756a9.jpg

After the long port you get some nice scenery and a chance to paddle for a bit before the next port which is a short 30m.

May24to25-14255_zps355baae6.jpg

Video

Selfie at 30m port

May24to25-14268_zpsc9f93ade.jpg

Looking down at the Falls end
May24to25-14265_zpsb75aac04.jpg

Clouds looked nice but a thundershower was due this evening

May24to25-14338_zpsfd0851ed.jpg

After my 3 hour wicked sunburn in plus 30c heat it was time to find the sun shirt and stop off at my lunch island

May24to25-14291_zps3b274883.jpg

May24to25-14314_zps34a1437e.jpg

Falls next to the island, unsure of why the foam look to these falls?

May24to25-14308_zps99822320.jpg

Various Scenic pics from my travels

May24to25-14324_zps06608783.jpg

May24to25-14323_zpsbc1b92ad.jpg

May24to25-14381_zpsc5a156f1.jpg

May24to25-14384_zpscad77ea9.jpg

May24to25-14403_zpsdaab5237.jpg

May24to25-14446_zps1effda70.jpg

May24to25-14471_zpsaa5ca482.jpg

May24to25-14494_zpse929c55f.jpg

And a few of the animals I disturbed including several scared ducks, birds, turtles and beavers and so on

May24to25-14469-1_zps93e7a995.jpg

May24to25-14378_zpsa0a76702.jpg

After 5pm now and I have done most of Elbow lake and am at campsite #12 on a little island. Time to pull over and have some food and refill the water again!

May24to25-14368_zps05d721b0.jpg

As I am landing for dinner I see a huge group of 22 souls and 9 canoes headed my way from the McGregor side of the way. Was a school group returning to their camp from the days travels. Was cool to see such a large group passing by. Had a comment or two on my new canoe, I guess people like the carbon look of the Textreme CF :cool:

May24to25-14361_zps17615d55.jpg

May24to25-14362_zpsc05928b0.jpg

Looking back at my dinner island after my meal and its off to McGregor Lake

May24to25-14372_zps2e2b1b37.jpg

Ever so desperate for a pit stop that you will use a 6" ledge on the side of a rock face to pull over? Lol

May24to25-14340_zpsc6ccac37.jpg

I did get turned around at the final falls before McGregor due to the lack of time and energy and I could not see the port entry as the sign was mid point in the water so I turned around here and went back to my island spot hoping no one landed after I left there.

May24to25-14396_zps0150c4b5.jpg

With the warning of high winds and lightning showers I tied everything down hardcore to survive the big winds an open spot like this would get. My canoe did try to leave me with a mild wind gust so I will need to tie it down so it wont get damaged in its windborne moments. I do always tie off to a anchor but now needed to strap in down to the ground.

May24to25-14413_zpsed26bd28.jpg

May24to25-14411_zpsb42a5369.jpg

Back on the trail in the am and more wonderful paddling. I just need to remember to keep the arms moving while I am gawking at the scenery

Leaving the 30m port

May24to25-14479_zps6f464c66.jpg

155m port coming back looking down

May24to25-14031_zpsd76d82c2.jpg

Almost back at the Tulabi landing and a quick look at the Cliff jump. I remember doing this when the days were hot and the water was very cold. Did not repeat that mistake this weekend. The body tends to seize up dramatically and getting back onto land can be very difficult with your arms seized to your chest, the good old days and a lesson learned.

May24to25-14061_zps3fe96daa.jpg

Back in the lot by 1230pm and after a nice chat with the Park rangers in the lot and a story or two of their heavy aluminum canoe, I got pointers on where my next trip should be after one tried lifting my canoe for the weight. Started to rain as I was loading the canoe and gear into the truck. Good timing! The drive home in rain was fun too with way too much hydro planning stunts and such fun. Glad to be home early and time to sort out the gear.

May24to25-14090_zps7a076d24.jpg

My new needs will be another light summer "sunproof" shirt with a very high collar and long sleeves, any good companys to look at for a hard use shirt in light colors?

Thanks

Last edited:
"...need to remember to keep arms moving when gawking at the scenery." That's my mistake in a nutshell.
Really nice trip Ice. Thanks for sharing it.

Wow, the water was really high for you, it was nothing like that last September when we went up.

Your trip pictures were a treat for me as I had been on this route many years ago! Was great to get back here and see all the improvements to the trails and camp sites.

"...need to remember to keep arms moving when gawking at the scenery." That's my mistake in a nutshell.
Really nice trip Ice. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks, was funny how many times I had started to drift backwards in the current while looking at the beavers/birds. I will have to remember that before I get in trouble.

You're getting lots of tripping in already! That's awesome!

Going to be a good year with the new canoe, this is a wickedly fun little solo boat! I even upgraded to a Bending Branches Black Pearl in a short 48" length this trip. Works perfect for me! Going to get some mileage real soon! Just need some more sunshirts for the crazy warm days- I have a new shade of red going on right now! My Astral V8 Life Jacket was a comfort even in the heat, a great hot weather PFD! Life is good :D

Very nice, great pictures, this was my favorite, Very nice color's, Thanks for sharing. I like the way you are getting your gear downsized, nice job!

May24to25-14384_zpscad77ea9.jpg

Very nice, great pictures, this was my favorite, Very nice color's, Thanks for sharing. I like the way you are getting your gear downsized, nice job!

Thanks, Going to be a real challenge to downsize the weight even more! I still have an older tent that is in the 8lbs+ and need some good light boots as well. After that I am unsure where to trim from and still keep the camp comforts (neoair and the Helinox chair are must have items) I wonder if anyone makes a ultra light drybag with the hipbelt and internal frame in a 70lt size?

Thanks, Going to be a real challenge to downsize the weight even more! I still have an older tent that is in the 8lbs+ and need some good light boots as well. After that I am unsure where to trim from and still keep the camp comforts (neoair and the Helinox chair are must have items) I wonder if anyone makes a ultra light drybag with the hipbelt and internal frame in a 70lt size?

Not 70L but should be enough if you downsize the tent:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/epic.htm

As far as your sleeping gear I highly recommend a quilt. Lighter and more comfy.

As for tents, I may be purchasing this one:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-nx/product

because my wife is using a hammock now... in which case I may have a 4 lb Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3 for sale. It's really a two person tent but it's the best tent I've owned. I wish the solo version was the same style.

Or look into a hammock. If you do, I recommend dumping the sleeping pad and going for the under-quilt. It's expensive and a tad heavier but I can't imagine fussing with a sleeping pad in the hammock. My wife's hammock and quilts (over and under) combined are probably lighter than a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad. I'm pretty impressed - I personally just don't like the fuss of the hammock - a tent requires little thought which is a plus.

Anyway thanks for the shots and enjoy your tripping.

I have a MEC Tarn 2 I would be willing to part with. It is two years old but only used for one week two years ago. It is still shiny and new basically. I find it too small for my tastes, and am thinking of either a Wanderer 2 or maybe a Tarn 3. I can barely sit up in the Tarn 2 and I need to be able to do that if tent bound for whatever reason. I know people love them for the small size and weight, but it just seems like a nylon cocoon to me. I had it set up in the backyard on Saturday when we got the deluge then the all day rain sunday, it had a lake under it and no water inside.

In the one photo of the portage into McGregor. The sign in the middle of the River is for the port up over the rocks there, then paddle up to the next waterfall and that port would be on the left. There is also a full length port on the left side of that sign, not marked except for blue webbing tied to the trees to assist climbing the slope. It is just to the left of the major sand washout.

Not 70L but should be enough if you downsize the tent:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/epic.htm

Anyway thanks for the shots and enjoy your tripping.

Thanks for the link to the 65lt Drybag system, that would save me 2.5lbs right there. Looks to be a nice system!

I do multi-task in my adventures so a proper sleeping bag is a welcome thing for me, I have both a -40c and -18c bag for colder hobbies and a -7c goosedown for the spring/fall and a summer bag too. A ultralight goosedown bag may be a nice thing but the cost for that is crazy high.

I think a 2 man free standing tent will be a requirement for me too so it can fit a few needs. I need a do all type set up.

I have a MEC Tarn 2 I would be willing to part with. It is two years old but only used for one week two years ago. It is still shiny and new basically. I find it too small for my tastes, and am thinking of either a Wanderer 2 or maybe a Tarn 3. I can barely sit up in the Tarn 2 and I need to be able to do that if tent bound for whatever reason. I know people love them for the small size and weight, but it just seems like a nylon cocoon to me. I had it set up in the backyard on Saturday when we got the deluge then the all day rain sunday, it had a lake under it and no water inside.

In the one photo of the portage into McGregor. The sign in the middle of the River is for the port up over the rocks there, then paddle up to the next waterfall and that port would be on the left. There is also a full length port on the left side of that sign, not marked except for blue webbing tied to the trees to assist climbing the slope. It is just to the left of the major sand washout.

I have tried a Tarn tent and found it would not vent properly in the hotter days with the rainfly on. I like the two man tents with dual doors so you can cross vent on the warmer days.

I am looking at this new one- not heavy for the size of it--> http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-482/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul2-tent/?h=10+50055&f=10+50055+50830

Thanks for the directions on the final ports into McGregor, I guess I was just too tired to find them at that point in the day! Lol. Will have to go back for a longer run soon! I was looking but just seen the sign under water and gave up instead of trying something silly! Would be nice to return for a three day run!

Great report. Would like to hear your thoughts on how the Keewaydin 15 handles. I tried one for a few days, but am not experienced enough to feel the difference between it and an Osprey. You asked about sun shirts. I wear this one as my bush shirt...expensive, but has two zippered chest pockets, those buttons on the triceps for keeping sleeves rolled up when needed, not too hot, and it looks good in town. I got a blue and a yellow green...the yellow green for canoeing. http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/mens-long-sleeved-sun-stretch-shirt?p=52195-0

Back