• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Daytrip: Poling the Upper Tippecanoe River

Reaction score
I spent a late summer day poling up and paddling down the upper Tippecanoe River. The weather was warm and sunny with a light breeze. Bugs were almost nonexistent. As good as it gets this time of year.

The river meanders lazily through lowland forests of silver maple with the occasional high bank and is surrounded by farmland. Not exactly a mountain stream, it has its own challenges. Pools deeper than the pole can reach require a kayaking technique. Amazing, how much water that thin pole can move. Sandy and gravely bottoms alternate with pole swallowing muck where a duckbill tip would be better suited. Numerous strainers require some contortionist skills to squeeze underneath. Bumping into submerged logs throws you off balance when you least expect it. I dragged some mud into the canoe on my boots at the put-in and later slipped on it, lost my balance, and fell on my butt in the canoe, but thankfully without tipping it. That was really the only adrenalin moment.

I poled my Bobs Special and put a gamma-sealed 5 gallon bucket filled with water into the bow for trim for the paddling portion of the trip. A heavier layup has its advantages when it comes to paddling from the bow seat backwards. Loosing a couple pounds would also be helpful. My legs were pretty sore at the end of the trip. Poling requires muscles that are seldom used.

Sorry, no photos.

Back