There is an overlong write up on outfitting a friend’s Monarch here. Unfortunately all of the (Webshots) photos are gone.
To save you time reading through days of shop work blather here is the sequence cut and pasted:
Sequentially it was time for the last big task, to cut and do the initial installation on a utility thwart/sail mount.
DP cut a piece of Luan as a template, sanded the edges to fit perfectly inside the cockpit and, satisfied with the exactitude of the match, used the template to cut and custom sand a piece of hardwood for the utility thwart.
A run through the router, a little RO/DI sanding action and the utility thwart was ready for installation.
We traced the butt end of the utility thwart on kevlar felt, cut out that trace and stapled the felt material onto the ends of the utility thwart. The staples held the material in place during installation and it was easily saturated the felt with epoxy resin and propped/wedged it into perfect position.
(Note: We “wedged” it into place by building a temporary platform of boxes and boards below the center of the utility thwart)
Once the kevlar felt saturated Gflex sets up it will be easy to continue work on the utility thwart with it held firmly in position.
A bead of Gflex filled any small gaps or voids along the top edges and it was time call it a day before either of us bumped into the hull or was unable to resist the urge to further futz with the resin as it set. Anyone who has worked with resin knows exactly what I mean.
Pulling out the props and wedges the next day the utility thwart was already rock solid. But a couple pieces of 2” fiberglass tape spanning the thwart and cockpit edges will help secure it even further, and will clean up the transition between thwart to cockpit coming.
I masking taped and papered the edges of the boat for drip protection and added a little yellow pigment to the resin mix before laying in pieces of 2” glass tape. DP wants a yellow and black color scheme on his green boat.
Peel ply smoothed out over fiberglass tape, so the sanding stage will be that much easier. Time to walk away again.
Peel the ply on the top tape. I’m still always a little amazed that peel ply actually, well, peels off epoxy resin the following day. And then further amazed that it peels off leaving such a nice, uniformly smooth surface.
The peel ply eliminates the raspy raised-seam edges and any loose strands of the fiberglass tape, and helps fill the weave with resin. Sanding the faint and uniform texture left by peel ply is a pleasure compared to the laboring away dustily at the bumps, strands and unfilled weave.
Topside done, time to flip the hull over to glass in the bottom of the thwart. Working up inside a hull having the boat positioned the 4 foot tall sawhorses is a godsend. As is a wheeled shop chair for scooting in and out underneath. And I’ve finally found a good use for a headlamp.
Bead of Gflex to fill any voids along the bottom edges, 2” glass tape and epoxy lapping the bottom of the cockpit rim and utility thwart, peel ply smoothed out and walk away again.
Remove the peel ply from the bottom and, dayum, that is one sturdy mommajamma of a utility thwart. I expect archeologists to unearth it one day after the rest of the boat has rotted away and wonder what the hell.
Since that utility thwart is subject to considerable stress from a wind filled sail overly sturdy is welcome.
I just got back from a 4-day family trip on Tangier Sound. Four decked boats, all with rudders, utility thwarts and sails. I’ll post some photos eventually.
I am absolutely sold on the value of a utility thwart. Not just for the Spirit Sail mount, but also for some J-hooks to hold a deck compass, a > of bungee on either side to hold paddles and a lateral run of bungee to hold misc items so they accessible and not down in the bilgewater.