• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Winter journey to see loved ones, skiing and canoe shopping

Reaction score
Greetings all: Didn't know where to post this journey. I made my journey up to the Daks for relative visiting( 89yo nun), skiing in the High Peaks region and buying a canoe. My initial canoe search was for a lightweight solo but life throws you curveballs. My solo purchase will happen but I will try out a few solo first then decide. My wife decided to join me on my Florida adventure thus I changed my hunt to a tandem. I had already decided on which tandem canoe to buy a year or 2 ago, Swift Keewaydin 16. I found a used one at Raquette River Outfitters on Tupper Lake. Anne and Robbie (RRO) are wonderful folks with a nice shop. We talked a lot about skiing conditions which were nothing short of spectacular and canoe tripping. Off trail skiing was waist to chest high....thus I stayed on the trails. Anne and Robbie are currently building a Adirondack guide boat, brass screws, copper nails, perfectly sanded wood and no adhesive. Apparently the wood will swell a bit to seal the boat. I highly recommend this outfitter, real locals with a great understanding of the area and boats. I would also like to put in a plug for Tmax-n-Topo hostel. Clean, large, comfortable, inexpensive($30/night), huge well stocked kitchen, sheets(no sleeping bag needed), and very close to the Adirondak Loj High Peaks Region. I was the only resident on my last night. Seems like it fills up on weekends though. I might make this regular winter ski trip if the snow is that reliable. Final plug for UBU, hellz yeah, what a beverage, a Lake Placid Brew Pub classic ale.

I spent a few days skiing, up Avalanche Pass and parts of the Jack Rabbit trail. As always, Avalanche was tough but spectacular. I did not do Misery to Colden as this was my first real ski trip this year and still recovering from heart issues. Plus I got lost for a mile or so. and went up Whale tail, what climb especially with no skins.
Avalanche camp lean to:
P2250030_zpsba0vpqd4.jpg

The JR was quite a network of trails allowing traversing throughout the HP region. One could even use it to commute to work. It did have some challenging sections though.
Jack Rabbit Trail:
P2260041_zpsxs3roywf.jpg

Also visited a fascinating widlife refuge rehab with wolves, snowy owls, arctic fox, eagles, coyote, horned owls. http://www.adirondackwildlife.org/
A Yurt on their refuge:
P2260050_zpspybs2gbr.jpg

My 'new to me' canoe is in excellent shape, small factory repair to the gel coat with no structural damage. It is a Kevlar fusion with aluminum rails, 40lbs. A few cosmetic scratches, sliding front seat. Riding proudly on my '94 pre-Taco Toyota DX, notice the High Peak in the distance. I had to retie the canoe twice on the road home due to tractor trailers and significant winds. Due to its shorter length I will have use the under hood tie downs so many here use. I plan to use this boat for day tripping and light touring. First trip up, tandem day floats in Florida, with a solo adventure in the Okee for week two. My wife will leave from Jacksonville airport to return to work before Okee...someone has to pay for this canoe:)
P2270056_zpsqdsy5gyn.jpg

As much as I loved the Daks, this old bag of bones is ready for some warmth, Florida, here we come.

Liked the shopping skiing hosteling TR very much.
You are related to an 89 yo nun? Or did spell check bite? Safe travels. Winter ain't done yet

Hey Yellow: I have an 89 year old cousin that's a nun. She has a mind/memory sharp as a tack. She is the families historian. She know second cousins once removed. You're right about winter, we got some serious ice yesterday, ~1/2 inch or more. Most has melted, except my driveway on the shady north side of the house. Ugh!

Speaking of winter, the folks @ RRO said that they haven't been above freezing for (I think) 2 months or more!!

I'll try a real trip report with my florida trip, still planning but almost have a lot of it figured out.

Nice trip, I was up there 2 weeks ago camping by Marcy Dam. I've stayed at TMax and Topo's place before with my daughter, loved the different mtn ranges of how the rooms are set up. How did you like the huge kitchen? I was looking at a used boat also because I'm going back up there again this coming weekend to go hiking. I rented a boat last August from Raquette Rivers, they had a ton of those barrel packs hanging from the ceiling. I looked at their website and they don't show a used boat inventory, wonder why? I'm looking at a Souris River boat at another place, heard nice things about them. Be well.

Hi Coldfeet:

You stayed at Marcy, very nice. It was wind blown and cold when I was there. I had to ski across the lake because the bridge had way to much snow and no tracks. I sunk up to my waist. Tmax kitchen was incredible. I plan to make this a yearly trip. With so few renters during the mid-week winter it felt like I owned the place. You only need to bring your ski gear, food and clothes.

RRO rented Swift Kees so I just emailed them and asked if they sold any used canoes. They said yes so off I went. Initially I was looking for Kee 15 or similar solo or a small tandem. Here is what they offered via email.....We do have used Keewaydin 16's and some solo boats for sale. In solo Kevlar canoes we currently have Wenonah Wilderness 15'4, Bell Merlin 11 and Magic, and Swift Keewaydin 15 these are all traditional style solo canoes with bench seats. We also have some used light weight pack canoes from many different companies sizes ranging from 10'6" - 13.6". These boats have seats on the floor that you generally paddle with a double blade. Models include Wenonah wee lassie, Swift Pack 12 & 13.6 and Slipstream We lassie 10'6......

Also check with Will from Mountainman Outdoors. He has a selection of canoes some used, last years models or demo. He only had a 'last year model' Kee 16 carbon. Too pricey but discounted.

Good luck

Back