Two day trip down Shenandoah

Reaction score
[No message]

Attachments

• photo1620.png
    photo1620.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice job taking advantage of the break in the weather. Looking at today's weather map on TV looks like that area is going to get some snow tomorrow.
I liked the eagle, always so nice to see and even better when they pose for you.
Thanks for sharing a "cool" trip.

Last edited:
I'm envious, water has been "hard" up here for about three weeks. So is this the same river Bob Dylan wrote the song about?

When I looked down on the Shenandoah I thought it must've been the prettiest river in America. I have a lot of rivers still to cross, but it'll always be special to me.
I first heard the American folk song Oh Shenandoah (Across the Wide Missouri) in a PBS TV documentary The Irish in America - Long Journey Home. I bought the CD, and love the rendition by Van Morrison and The Chieftans. It seems there are different versions of both the song and it's origins.
That was a nice trip Norton. Thanks for sharing it.

ps I think I saw some youtube of people paddling and tubing down that river. Is it a popular river?

Last edited:
Norton,
Where did you launch and did you do a shuttle or did you paddle out and back? This is not local for me but relatively close.
regards,
Dave

That was a nice day for paddling, I'm glad you were able to take advantage of it and get out on the water. Did you see many people? The Shenandoah river is a great run that I did this past spring for the first time and is the VA version of the Saco river in NH/ME. VA likes to go back and forth between Winter and Fall every few weeks so the spring paddling starts up a lot sooner down here, too. I'm not too far from you near Fredericksburg and was hoping the Rappahanock River was up to 3 feet, but it was still too low to run.

Oh, and don't forget John Denver. The Shenandoah gets direct mention in "Country Roads."

Last edited:
It is a great time to be out. The only people still going are serious about the outdoors. I am going fishing for a couple of days next week with my dog. The darkness is the most challenging part. I am taking a trailer so I can read at night and sleep warmer. The afternoons are pure joy right now with sunny cool days with little wind.

Back