• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Knife Lake BWCA, September 2019

Reaction score
Spent 5 nights in the BWCA this past September with my brother. We put in at the entry point on Moose Lake just outside of Ely, MN and made our way to Knife Lake that sits right on the border. Our plan was to take it easy and spend a couple of days getting there but the weather was cool, misty and windy the first day and was only suppose to get worse so we pushed on and made it to Knife the first day. We spent 4 nights on Knife Lake fishing and exploring and relaxing although the weather was cold and wet the first 3 days and then dried out and was pretty nice the rest of the time. Paddled most of the way out and spent our last night on a great campsite on Newfound lake. Slept in a hammock the first 4 nights and then just out on the ground the last night. Sat and watched the full moon rise the last night and then got up early to watch a beautiful sunrise the last morning.

It was one of those trips where the first half had us questioning why do we still do this? Wet, cold and windy. The last 3 days were glorious and made us forget all about the bad weather so we are planning our trip for next spring already! Took my new pup on her 2nd BWCA adventure and she just loved it, figured I should train her in young.

I created a link to a google photo album so I hope it works.

Greg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aqdbEESJibkWJqPD7

I'm glad your trip ended on a high note, cold wet and wind can make it hard to feel the joy. On any trip before Memorial Day and after Labor Day I take a tent with a wood stove because of those conditions. It really helps my morale on those days knowing that by the end of the day I will be warm, dry, and comfortable.

Enjoyed it very much! The pup looks great and the last shot with the rays of the sun? off the water on the hull should be mounted on your wall. Just curious I noticed a darker, hard wood?, for the outwale and a blonde on the inside. Are they two different woods? I like the look!

Last edited:
Great Pics Greg ! Especially the last one !

How did you like the backrests ? Did one work as a portage yoke on the tandem ?

Jim

Great Pics Greg ! Especially the last one !

How did you like the backrests ? Did one work as a portage yoke on the tandem ?

Jim

Jim,

I love the backrests but the canoe has a permanent yoke so don't need to double up on the backrests. It does work in my solo though.

Greg's

Enjoyed it very much! The pup looks great and the last shot with the rays of the sun? off the water on the hull should be mounted on your wall. Just curious I noticed a darker, hard wood?, for the outwale and a blonde on the inside. Are they two different woods? I like the look!

Doug,

Merrimacks standard is ash inners and cherry outers.

Greg
IMG_20190908_200204.jpg to

Back