• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Soric

I'm curious. Tell us what you've found so far. Are you building another hull from your existing form? I can't remember what you used for core material on your last build. Are you looking for something lighter, stiffer, easier to use?

Mark

Nope. I acquired a little 13’ female mold. I’ll do a couple off it this winter just to practice my skills. I ordered some of this stuff and I’m going to make a couple bucket seats with it and carbon just to pay around. I’ll post here how that goes. I’ll probably do a thread on my build after I get going on it. One thing that is a priority for me is that I want to learn to vacuum bag.

Soric is a bulker/flow media that is placed within (and becomes a permanent part of) the laminate stack. It has small raised hexagons in a pattern that creates flow channels between them. The downside is that the soric (and all the resin trapped in the channels) remains within the final part. This has positive and negative effects. On the positive side it separates the skin plys and acts like a sandwich core, which increases the stiffness of the final part. On the negative side, parts will be much heavier because of all the extra resin trapped inside.

So if weight is not a factor, then soric can be a good choice. If weight is of concern, the preferred method is use of a closed-cell core with flow media outside the peel ply.

Youtube author "Matthieu Libeert" has a couple videos featuring infusions with Soric that are helpful.

Is there published data for the material density, as well as the volume of the channels? Or maybe a value for resin filled Soric?
It seems to me (without in depth research) that it's gonna be hard to be Divynicell as a composite core...

Back