• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Am I crazy?

Reaction score
So a couple of summers ago I replaced my cedar deck that had seen about 20 years of use (with a new cedar deck of course, no composite for me) and I stacked the old boards up thinking that I should attempt to make a canoe out of them. Well, I've decided this is the year - if it will work. Tonight I took one of the boards, cut it into strips and played around with the router making a few bead and cove cuts and it looks like it will do. I know it won't look the best but I kinda like knots anyway. I do wonder if when I begin tacking them on the form and bending them if they will be too brittle though. Might be able to give some old cedar new life. Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Attachments

• photo1825.jpg
    photo1825.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1826.jpg
    photo1826.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1827.jpg
    photo1827.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1828.jpg
    photo1828.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1
It's always nice to see old lumber, or anything else for that matter, being reused. I think the knots will give you problems when stripping and sanding could be interesting too. But as long as you know that going in and have the patience to deal with broken pieces then have it! It's not like the lumber cost you a lot of money or anything.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Alan

Go For it, a friend of mine made on out of fire wood.... He buys his fire wood in tree length, so he milled the trees into boards, and made a nice canoe out of it!!
White spruce was the wood!!

Are any of your pieces clear of knots? The one that you cut up will certainly prove to be problematic, the strips will break and generally be difficult to deal with. I'm also wondering if you were going to thickness plane the boards first. Even though your boards are roughly the same dimensions, variations in the thickness will give you irregular sized strips which will cause you to say some naughty words when you start stripping. Once you thickness plane, it's easier to pick out the clear boards as well. Have fun!

I know that I will be cutting a lot of non-usable strips to get strips I can use but time isn't really a factor and what ever I use will be less wood just tossed or burned. I have more than enough old decking to get plenty of usable strips, I think for me anyway it's just the idea of re-purposing my old deck that's appealing, whether or not the canoe will be is another question!
I did think of thickness planning the board's first but right now that is one tool I don't have access to. With deck boards being thicker than regular 1by's and the top side for sure being weathered they do need to be cut down. I played with the router set up last night and forcing a channel as I do the bead and cove and that did seem to do the trick to get them somewhat thinner and consistent. Now that was only 1 board so we shall see. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas everyone, keep em coming.

Back in '89 I built a stripped guideboat out of left over 5/4 cedar trim boards. I do agree with those above though, those multiple knot boards can be troublesome. I have sometimes glued in loose knots before cutting boards into strips. Other times, I have match marked and saved the knots as they pop free while cutting. Those knots, and the swirled grain around them, add lots of character to a hull. But they are a pain to deal with...

I think it's a great idea. The two things that first came to mind was a) what about the knots?, and b) what about the pressure treatment? You'll deal with the knots somehow, even if it means more strips being shorter? The PT will be trimmed off by the time you're ready to strip, if the wood was pressure treated.
I'm not a carpenter, so I can't offer any useful advice. I admire your resourcefulness; it's a good thing to reuse something that otherwise might've been destined for a landfill or fire. Oh, and really nice looking deck by the way. I hope it all works out, so that you'll have a nice looking canoe to match.
And yes, you're crazy...crazy in a good way. You may be on to something here. An alternative source of reclaimed wood for whatever. I've seen small furniture makers who use reclaimed wood (from barns etc) to fabricate beautiful rustic tables, dressers and such. Is there a future for reclaimed decking? You might be answering that question over the next few weeks. Good luck BWCA. Cool idea.

Using any reclaimed wood is a great thing. I've heard of boats being make from old railroad ties, the only downside is the creosote. Short pieces can be scarfed into full lengths if you so choose as well.

In the future I think we will see more reclaimed wood in more applications. Tear a house down and re-purpose the lumber to build a new house as trees become less available due to clear cutting. The do finger joints now on 2x2's so 2x4 and larger stock will likely see that in the future as well.

A 20 year old deck is not that old. I have refurbished many decks rather than tear them apart. The cedar and redwood from 30 years ago is much better than the stuff you can buy now. If it were me, I would have redone the deck and bought cedar of a much higher quality to build boats with. Most lumber can be re-used rather than burned or sent to the landfill. Let us know how it goes.

a) what about the knots?, and b) what about the pressure treatment?

Sounds like the knots will be a challenge, although I may get plenty of strips without them. Also, this was a pure cedar deck that was never pressure treated.

I'd say by the looks of your deck, you'll have plenty of planks to choose from. !
Cut plenty of extra! I spend TOO much time sorting strips, but that's just the game I choose to play.

Cut a plank that had been in a friends garage, since the mid 90s. It had stains, but the strips came out great.
A good friend, in Minnesota designed and built a small solo using wood from her front porch !

It'll make a great conversation piece, for sure !
Good Luck !

Jim

Sounds like a great idea! Having no experience in boat-building I can knot offer anything useful.

My friend didn't have any problem with the knots and there was a lot of them... What he did, is that wile milling his strips, he wouldn't be care full handling the strips, so just the best ones survived and from there one he never had a problem. He did end up milling a bit more strips, but the wood was almost free. so not a big deal.

It makes for a funky looking canoe. lots of knots, and of really light colour!!

Cheers

The way the wood supply is going we may all be making our boats with knots in them soon.

Christy

BWCA66

Gene ! did you finish this canoe?

Jim

Jim,
Not yet, life got in the way. Shortly after this I helped buy Merrimack and move it to MN. Then after about 6 months we moved into a new shop space in town with Sanborn, spent a bunch of time getting that all set up and then I worked more then I wanted to for a couple of years getting the company up and running again. Now we hired a young guy to run the company and I'm back to being mostly retired other than taking road trips to deliver canoes

Best thing is the old Sanborn shop is on my property and now mine! So I have the space to build the 24 footer you sold me forms for and I still have the cedar from my deck and it's supposed to be a long snowy winter.. .... ......

Last edited:
Life is funny that way.

Glad you have shop space, and breathing room ! I know you have the experience to build !

I'd love to see postings of a 24 footer being constructed ! Mem's was close ;)

Jim

Life is funny that way.

Glad you have shop space, and breathing room ! I know you have the experience to build !

I'd love to see postings of a 24 footer being constructed ! Mem's was close ;)

Jim

First step is to expand my strongback and then see how many strips I can get out of my old decking. Once I get going I'll start new new thread.

FWIW, I just disassembled a hot tub I built in 99' that was made of rough cut white spruce 2x6. I was surprised that there was no rot except for the few boards that touched the ground. The wood was never treated with anything and the tub held water for 10 years until I stopped using it. Unlike your deck boards my spruce is knot free, unfortunately they are too short a little narrow for paddle making.

Back