• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Video: "TuffStuff" Canoe Drop

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of helping my friends at Nova Craft Canoe by producing a video showing a demonstration of their new line of durable canoes they call "TuffStuff". In order to test the strength of this new material they tossed a new 16 ft. Prospector TuffStuff Expedition canoe off the roof of their 6 story high factory roof in London, Ontario. We had fun shooting the video using seven different camera angles (including a GoPro camera mounted inside the canoe!) Have a look:

The one,
Thanks for posting. A great re-enactment of the Old Town video of their Crosslink 3 canoe coming off the roof right down to the color of the canoe. Surprising and re-assuring that none of the wood in the boat broke. How much does the Prospector 16 weigh in the new material? Duct tape is one of my best friends.

Hey ppine, In answer to your question "How much does the Prospector 16 weight in the new material?"

The weight of that particular "TuffStuff" Expedition buildup in the Prospector 16 is 59 lbs.

Nice camera work!

The canoe tossers really did a nice job of dropping the canoe very evenly. I watched it a couple of times for fun.

Yes, a very nice toss and landing. I liked how it rolled over for the 'No touch' inspection.

The strength of the boat combined with the light weight is very appealing. One day we will all probably think that Royalex stayed around too long.

I don't believe this is being touted as a replacement to Royalex, though I'm sure they don't mind people thinking that. Rather, from what Charlie has said, it's another version of a composite. I think Royalex fans want to see them wrap it around a rock in moving water, rescue it, stomp it back into shape, and paddle home with it before they're sold.

Dropping it off a roof is impressive but I'd like to seem them drop boats of other laminations as well, built both by them and their competitors. For all I know most boats might survive that test. And even if many other boats didn't survive I'm not so sure it's replicating any damage that I'd be likely to encounter while actually using the boat. It's impressive to see but at this point I'm looking at it as a marketing gimmick and not much else.

Alan

Last edited:
It's impressive to see but at this point I'm looking at it as a marketing gimmick and not much else.

I saw it as an homage to the famous “Tripper tossed off the Old Town Roof” promo of years ago.

I am glad to see some new and different materials being used as alternative to Royalex. For me the jury is still out. The verdict will come in when it is known if those materials are repairable and outfit-able by a shade tree boat tinkerer.

If I can’t make repairs or glue (contact cement, Vynabond, whatever) D-rings and minicel and other outfitting in place without needing vacuum bagging equipment or pricey specialty hard-to-find adhesives it isn’t the material of my future.

I think a much more realistic demonstration would be to rent it out for a season in a busy park. I've seen firsthand the abuse those boats take by new and uncaring renters. I'm doubtful that dropping a canoe on it's bottom is an apt demonstration. However, I don't doubt it's a well built canoe. I'd love a NC Pal or Cronje.

Back