• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Backrest/seat

Reaction score
I made two Wee Lassie type canoes, one for my son, and one for the Nokomis Wood shop.

On both of these hulls I made a swiveling back rest, that can also be used as a kneeling thwart.

I started with a piece of Ash, that was cut the same as my seat frame contours, Added to it a steamed piece of Walnut ( first Steam bending I've ever done) and hanging it from two blocks attached to the underside of the inwhale.

The blocks were drilled round . The back rest was square. I rounded each end of the rest, to closely mate with the blocks. This left a square shoulder, resting against the block.

The nice thing, was the rest could be rotated 90 degrees, and it would stay in place, not spin. This was a benefit , not only while changing positions, but when the canoe was in transport, it didn't spin in the wind, while going down the road, or during loading.

I have in the past built a seat for the bottom of these canoes, but for these two, I just promote a seat cushion. Simple, and comfortable !

Pics.

IMG_2492_zpsztxrk5im.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2492_zpsztxrk5im.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	106784

IMG_2492_zpsztxrk5im.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2492_zpsztxrk5im.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	106784

Clever work, and nice details in the canoe as well!

While not precisely within the parameters of your post, take a look at this...

cr=w-600,h-300.jpeg

Could be used in a stripper with slotted gunwales as well. I suppose it's intended as a kneeler's rest rather than a seat strictly. https://azlandtraditions.com

Clever work, and nice details in the canoe as well!

While not precisely within the parameters of your post, take a look at this...

Could be used in a stripper with slotted gunwales as well. I suppose it's intended as a kneeler's rest rather than a seat strictly. https://azlandtraditions.com

Now that looks comfy ! I'd have to make mine webbing and nylon, as I have a tendency to get things too wet. I'd also need to beef up my inwhales.
Quite appropriate on a wood canvas hull !

The thwart adds enough stiffness and support ! I like it !

Jim

Back