• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Canoe seats

Reaction score
This Spring I'll be working on a new (to me) Mohawk XL14. It is currently set up as a tandem with two pedestals, I will be converting it to a solo with a single seat.

The Eds Canoe contour seat looks like my best option, comfort being the main goal here.

Two questions

I wondering if the 40" version (https://www.edscanoe.com/40cecacose.html) would be better than the 32" version (https://www.edscanoe.com/32contourseat.html), my previous XL14 had a fairly standard seat (don't know the exact size) which was killing my arse on my long trips, partially because I found I was often sitting with one cheek on the frame and no matter how much padding I added it was still a killer after more than a couple of hours. The seat area on the 40" is quite a bit larger but maybe it's too big for a beam of 32" at the Gunwale (30" at seat level).

The other question is cane vs webbing, again comfort is the primary issue here but durability is also a concern since I'm very lazy when it comes to maintenance.

I'm not sure what my plan is for seat hangers, the old XL14 has factory installed aluminum hangers, I can't replicate those because they are installed before the gunwales are added but I'm thinking of riveting L brackets at the appropriate height with minor adjustments made by using small spacers to raise the height if necessary.

One of the issues with the old boat with its flat seat is that I had some trouble getting my feet under when kneeling, I'm hoping that the contour seat will give me that extra inch or so to alleviate that problem.

FYI - I have a small arse with not much padding!

Any and all comments welcome.

I had to go look at one of my boats with the Ed's 40 in it, the Courier which is my go to WW hull. I had second thoughts but after putting it in and using it on a few WW runs I was very happy with it. I prefer webbing over cane after several cane seats blew out on me during trips, not a fan. Like you I have a small arse and I find this seat very comfortable. My .02!

dougd

When I set up my Morningstar as a solo I installed the extra wide web seat from Northstar and couldn't be happier. With the wide width you can lean on each side and still be on the seat.
Extra-Wide-Walnut-Web-Seat-copy.png

I like the contoured seats. They are more comfortable if you heel the hull a little.

I also like webbing. It's durable and more comfortable .

IMG_2564_zpsncdazrlr.jpg

I have always preferred the look and feel of cane, but my last two Ed's Cane Bucket seats stretched prematurely. Not sure where they are sourcing their materials now, maybe good cane is hard to find, so webbing from now on!

Everybodys butt is different, but the Swift seat is most comfortable to mine.

Probably webbing. I prefer cane and have some boats with cane seats that are over 20 years old( the cane ) Webbing does fail. I have had two webbing failures. One was unfortunately on the French River and we lacked enough rope to weave a faux babiche seat. Had to finish the trip with a pack wedged under the seat.
The second time the boat got caught in a root wad by the seat and only by ripping all the webbing( it was getting old) could we disentangle the boat. We wove a faux seat on the river bank; this time we had sufficient rope.
Webbing may be the way to go but it does get old and lose its strength so you may pay later.

I am a big fan of Eds contour seat.

1/2" Nylon Snow Shoe cord , as I have done all my seats, is as roughed as as anything out there !

It is a trick to weave at the right tension, as it shrinks when varnished. This was a bit of a learning curve.

They are cool, and during a Winter paddle, I'd advise a pad. In the hot Summer, they are great !

IMG_0296_zps33674540.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
I too am a fan of Ed’s canoe seats, either contour or extra wide depending on the canoe. Not a big fan of cane and prefer webbing. I have like the laced seats that came with some of our canoes, but that’s not a task I want to tackle.

One thing I will note about Ed’s seats, and Essex Industries and those from some larger canoe manufacturers; there don’t seem to be many coats of varnish on the wood frame. The finish has started to wear off or wear thin in just a few years; the finish on seats I’ve built or rebuilt with multiple coats of varnish last far longer.

I wonder if Ed’s would sell just the frame, no varnish, no webbing or cane so that I could lay multiple coats of varnish and web/cane/lace the frame as I wished.

Wow Jim, nice array of boats there! Can you please name the designs L-R for us? I noticed two interesting details; the round/reverse round of the decks on the first two boats on the left, and it looks like you don't extend the inwale all the way to the stem, but rather end them at (or within) the deck. Very nice!

I must say, I like the "snowshoe look" of your seats.

Last edited:
I generally prefer webbed seats over cane for comfort and with cane I usually use a seat pad too. If you use a contour seat it lowers your seating position (and will interfere more with getting your feet under the seat) so you do want to think about how you'll make minor up/down adjustments so you can get your seat height just right. I think Ed's makes good stuff and I have Ed's seats in two of my canoes with no complaints. I personally prefer a straight seat to a contour seat but either is fine. Personally I doubt that you want/need the 40 inch wide seat.

One other option for you is to check out the seats on the hemlock canoe site. People seem to love the Conk seats and I also like the look of the hemlock bucket seat since it has some fore/aft adjustability.

http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/conk-seats.html

Second on Conk seats through Hemlock Canoe! Love mine...had both single contour and double contour ones. Can’t go wrong with either.

Thanks Patrick ! I didn't want to derail this thread, just emphasize my like, for this seat design.

I make my seats deeper than you find on production seats. This allows me to shift my weight fore and aft to adjust trim if needed, without a sliding seat.

Standing L-R a Shortened 38 Spl ( Bruce Kunz design) Pearl, The next three are are inspired by Gene Jensen builds. Then an MCA Osprey stretched to 18.5'. Lastly a 38 Spl.

A pic of my deck style.
IMG_2567_zpsffkigmz5.jpg

Jim, in order to avoid derailing the thread, would you mind sending me a PM with info about the Kunz 38 Spl, and where I might find plans/specs, etc? Thanks, Pat

Feel free to derail! The earlier responses have given me something things to consider.

The Hemlock seats are interesting, there is a huge price difference between the standard ash and the laminated ash over basswood versions, I've never broken a seat even the ones that have seen a lot of use and have some rot happening, not sure the extra dimensional stability and lighter seat rails are needed (comments?).

Seats bearing the name Conk were developed by me. Being a solo kneeling paddler the goal was to create a bench style seat that provided greater comfort at the third point of contact. I put a gradual contour on the forward rail and routed its leading edge with a generous ovate roundover. The curved, softened edge is a better fit to the backside and increases paddler contact with the seat. The webbed area is 20 inches wide to allow lateral movement. The aft rail is straight (no contour) to maximize foot space. While these features help alleviate derriere discomfort to kneelers, those who sit have come to appreciate them as well. The natural forward slope provides butt to boat resistance for the three-point paddler who sits with their feet forward against a brace.

The rails on a Conk are laminated. A basswood core is sandwiched between strips of quarter-sawn ash. This technique produces stable stock that is lighter, and I feel, stronger than milled lumber. The one-inch deflection contour takes place over 20 inches, there is an abrupt angle back to flat at the ends of the rail, this makes the connection at the seat hanger or supporting cleat a 90 degree joint, a feature installers appreciate. There is a floating multi-ply tenon in each of the strut to rail joints. I have never known one to fail. The finish starts with a light walnut stain, over which three coats of marine-grade varnish are applied. The seating area is covered with 1½" polypropylene webbing that has been mechanically stretched and fastened with 18-gauge stainless steel staples.

I have made careful study of the gluteus maximus and it is safe to say that no one seat will ever accommodate the pleasures of every paddler. To broaden appeal, I offer several configurations. My seats can have one or two contoured rails with a depth of 8 or 10 inches. For the petite or uber weight conscious, I scale down the rail width for additional weight savings. Heck… I will even make a flat seat for the traditionalist who likes discomfort.

That certainly explains the difference in cost of the Conk! I think I will have to try one next time, as I have soured on the Ed's cane bucket.

Back