• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Webbing seat staple length?

Well, I finally got around to putting the webbing on the seats from the tandem/solo Dagger Reflection 15. I used 1-1/2" polyester cargo strap webbing as it is not too slick and I could get it in green and black (the canoe is green) for a reasonable price from:

https://customtiedowns.com/customtiedowns.com.

My regular manual staple gun worked fine with 5/16" stainless staples as long as I kept heavy pressure on the end of the gun. The few staples that didn't seat all the way got helped along with a small hammer. The ash seat frames had the old cane panels cut out, the groove cane pared flush with a sharp chisel and the original side turned down. The frames, thwart and carry handles along with the seat drop dowels got cleaned, sanded and hit with three coats of spar urethane. I used a pair of twisted pipe cleaners to get the urethane in the screw holes of the dowels and really saturate them. In addition to the usual really thin original finish on the seats, carry handles and thwart the dowels weren't even finished from the factory so they had some water staining I couldn't fully remove. :confused:

Here's the center and rear seats:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200404_094650.jpg Views:	50 Size:	357.5 KB ID:	107203

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200404_105750.jpg Views:	46 Size:	460.0 KB ID:	107202

I have a roll of 3/4" polyester webbing to add loop tie-down points under the washers and nuts when I reinstall everything. I may need to order longer screws as some of them may be marginal in length when I add the tie-down loops but McMaster-Carr has a good selection of stainless lock nuts, flat head screws in a lot of lengths, finish (countersunk) washers and several widths of wider washers to better grip the loops.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Attachments

• 20200404_094650.jpg
    20200404_094650.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice job! I like that you were able to reuse the seats by turning them upside down to "bury" the cane groove. Sensible and clever!

Thanks, Rick. I'm pretty sure I saw that trick in a post by Mike McCrea. If not him then it was someone else here on CT.com.

I had thought of ordering some nice contoured seats from Ed's or some such but with three seats and me not being sure if I'll keep the Reflection or sell it I decided that webbing over the old seats was the way to go. I'm adding a portage strap to it also.

It turns out that I will need to order some longer screws and other stuff from McMaster-Carr so I'm looking at my upcoming projects to see what else I should tack on to the order.

Best regards,

Lance

Back