• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Completed

Looks great! Are you addicted yet? Thanks for putting together the video and sharing it.

Very nice job on your canoe. I like the look of those those flat sawn strips, definitely a unique look. You did a much better job caning seats than i did on my cedar canvas, they look great. The hole pattern is like the older old town seats that don't have the extra hole on the corner. I think that's harder to cane, but you succeeded. Is that a prospector, or some other bear mountain design. Nice dry storage tanks.

Have you had it out yet? No need to baby it, strip canoes like to be used. Having built the canoe you now know that you can fix any damage. I wish you many good years on the water with your new canoe.

Mark

You've accomplished what most dream of !

The Journey, building a Stripper is one of learning ! Not how to build one, but what You are capable of !

Congratulations Paul !

Jim

Looks great! Are you addicted yet? Thanks for putting together the video and sharing it.

I think I was addicted about half way through. I was surprised at how easy and enjoyable the build was. Granted I watched many hours of video and read many form posts before and during the build, but all the preparation made for a good build.

Very nice job on your canoe. I like the look of those those flat sawn strips, definitely a unique look. You did a much better job caning seats than i did on my cedar canvas, they look great. The hole pattern is like the older old town seats that don't have the extra hole on the corner. I think that's harder to cane, but you succeeded. Is that a prospector, or some other bear mountain design. Nice dry storage tanks.

Have you had it out yet? No need to baby it, strip canoes like to be used. Having built the canoe you now know that you can fix any damage. I wish you many good years on the water with your new canoe.

Mark

Thanks for the comments. It is a Prospector. Ok, not going to lie....I did not take the grain into factor when laying out the canoe. I am very pleased with the finished look though. As far as the seats, i was really pleased with how they turned out. Those were caned on a camping trip while sitting around the camp fire.The Storage tanks were an after thought because I did not like how the stem area turned out and these provided a functional cover of them. I am hoping to finish the paddles this week and try to get it out this weekend.

You've accomplished what most dream of !

The Journey, building a Stripper is one of learning ! Not how to build one, but what You are capable of !

Congratulations Paul !

Jim

Jim, I used your skill saw method for cutting strips. Thanks for all of the advice and tips that you have posted on building, they are a ton of help!

Very nice. Our first build was a cottage cruiser from Bear Mountain. It gets used and abused a lot. I have ideas rolling around my head for the next one constantly...lol. We also put tanks in ours.

Looks like you're in NC, right? It must be nice to have open water this time of year. I'm almost ready to put my current build in the water, but unfortunately that will be many months away.

Mark

Congrats .... past the finish line and now you get to use that canoe. The feeling of getting on the water in something you built really adds to the feeling IMO, well done.

Brian

Looks like you're in NC, right? It must be nice to have open water this time of year. I'm almost ready to put my current build in the water, but unfortunately that will be many months away.

Mark

It was my stop at Morley’s Canoes in Swan Lake Montana that really planted the build seed for me. Yes we can canoe almost year around down here

Nice workmanship on both the boat and the paddles. I really enjoyed the pics of the wood in the paddles. I gave up making them a few years ago but am tempted to give it another try one day.

Thank You. I really enjoyed the crafting and carving the paddles. I wanted to incorporate all the different types of wood that we used on the canoe. The walnut added A LOT of weight but I really liked the look. Could not decide on a finish, so went with linseed oil with and finished it off with 600 wet/dry and oil.

Back