• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Which is it?? Kevlar or Fiberglass??

Reaction score
Howdy,
I have found a 1984 Sawyer Autumn Mist solo canoe that needs a little repair here and there. Trouble is I don't know what material this particular boat was made with. I hear they could be either glass or Kevlar or a combination of the two. It is painted inside and out. Might have been repainted somewhere over the years. The inside is painted like a speckled egg. I do see a very heavy course weave fabric was used.
If anyone knows how to determine if this boat is glass or Kevlar, I'd appreciate the help.
Thank in advance,
Larry

With speckles + course weave on the inside it's probably glass or "goldenglass" -- i.e., mostly fibreglass but with some kevlar where it hurts. Post some pictures. Sawyer solos are sweet.

Weight ! Kevlar is a lot lighter.

By your description, it sounds like fiberglass !

Repairs should be made with epoxy resin. It will bond to either fiberglass or Kevlar !

Jim

Many thanks for the responses and good advice.
Pictures? I'll see if I can figure how to do that.

It doesn't really matter what it is, one thing for sure is you don't want to repair the outside with kevlar, use S-glass if you can or E-glass if nothing else! The reason is S and E glass is much easier to deal with after the epoxy cures, sanding/fairing, where kevlar is not really friendly to sanding. When I fix composites boats I always use S-glass on the outside and sometime, if it is a kevlar layup and is kevlar on the inside I will use kevlar but some time I just carryon with S-glass! .

I have an Autumn Mist solo as well as a Sawyer Schockwave sole in Goldenglass, Both 80's built. The tell if its GG is,the interior has a slightly rough "chopper gun" sprayed fiberglass finish. It is also finished with a light gray speckled paint. The Kevlar ones I have seen have a smooth interior finish and the color inside and out match.

Attachments

• photo13397.jpg
    photo13397.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 2
  • photo13398.jpg
    photo13398.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 1
I really liked the Autumn Mist, at least as a solo dayboat.

By spec it seems narrower than my usual preferences as a solo, but I found it stable enough, and fairly seakindly. If I came across one at a decent needs-work price I’d snap it up, even if it was Goldenglass.

Specs (circa 1993)
14’ 10” long
28” wide
17”, 13 ¼”, 16” deep
34 to 51lbs, depending

FWIW the Goldenglass version was $770 in ‘93, and up to $1400 in the kevlar versions.

The Autumn Mist would be an interesting canoe to know the history, predecessor and ancestor designs and intentions. It is one of Sawyer’s Dave Yost boats:
Autumn Mist, StarLight, DY Special, SummerSong, ShockWave, Solo 13/Coda, X-17, 190 Cruiser, 222 Cruiser, Legend.

(Thanks CEW)

OT but how do you like your Shockwave?
when I was asking about DY Special plans from David Yost he was trying to talk me into the Shockwave.
While the DY Special was extremely fast and so pretty to look at ( in western red cedar) it didn’t suit the waters that I frequented
So how is it?

I love it! I'm a bigger guy (6'-4" 230) and the reason for the Mist. Shockwave was love at first paddle! On flat water its paddles like its on a rail. The initial and secondary stability are amazing with all the tumblehome it has. It is a narrow boat but fits like a glove and slices through water. The only issue I have with the design is,how shallow the hull is. It sits in the water quite low. Loaded with some gear and anything bigger than a small chop ,it could be a wet ride.Now we talk about speed! Most of my paddling has been in tripping boats but she is meant for speed. 4 strong strokes with double bent Viper, she is up to speed. I'm a traditional paddler, but I sinned and pick up a yack paddle. It's a rocket ship! I will own this boat forever

How about stern hook any problems there? The DY Special was impossible to control in a rear quartering wind
it was also not so good in small twisty water
I’m guessing the shockwave is very different?

No issues with the tail in the wind. As low as it rides in the water,wind has not been a problem.Now small twisty water is a problem lol. The boat has NO rocker at all and to turn it 180 takes about a half a block. At 16'-8" she is built for one thing, straight and fast!

Back