• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Video: Solitaire | Canoeing the Gem Lakes

Thank you for posting this video. I really enjoyed it! What beautiful country, and no wind!

Your video inspired me to look further, and diving a little deeper into the toponymy of Gem Lakes I discovered they are kettle lakes, and fed not by stream nor spring but by the water table, the water filtering up through undisturbed sandy lake bottom to form these liquid crystalline gems. Beautiful, and beautifully captured on film, thank you GRS. Exquisite as always.

RickR Thanks! In the last minute of the video, I'm stalled for a bit facing away from the camera because a wind gust came up and I couldn't torque it. I was sitting where I usually do though; should've slid up to the middle.

Odyssey Thank you for the nice comments. It's silent, calm, clear and colorful, and an easy paddle even with a bit of wind. The only movement is from ducks and loons, and it seems a shame to disturb them there.

Last edited:
PaddlingPitt Thanks. Have you been there (bit of a short drive compared to what I read from you)?

Yes, it is a short drive. We were planning to go car camping there with our dog, Shadow, last fall. But it was bad weather on our selected days. We gotta get there, though. Your images were very enticing!

Last edited:
Back