• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Excessively long POV video - Harricana Sept 2015

Reaction score
Got 90 minutes to kill? Got a comfortable chair or couch? Got a stimulant of one form or another?

Take a virtual paddle on the Riviere Harricana on the way to James Bay.

Audio required for proper enjoyment!

More info and pictures from the trip: http://recped.com/harricana/

Wow... Did you manage to watch the entire 90mins?? It look like it is 90 mins of go pro strapped to a helmet footage!! Sorry I can't!! No camp life? All strapped to his or her head!! That drives me craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy hahaha

Last edited:
Recped, it looked like low water, would it have been easier with more volume?

Canot, the best part is at the end when the two royalex boats get transported in a wood/canvas freighter. :cool:

Harricana, heck yeah!! Hearing thunder under grey skies to start the trip was cool. Loved scrambling over the rocks to scout rapids. And that was a nice walk in the woods. Worked out well to find a natural rock sluice close to shore that just squeezed the canoes thru! Thanks for that final pirouette at buck 25 giving me a gratis 360 view of the river! Loved the "freefallin'" towards that erratic in midstream, and just slippin' by. And finally motoring across the Bay was beautiful. Thanks for this Recped.

It was nice to follow along with your Spot trail last year on the Albany, so what big river are you doing this year Recped?

Recped, it looked like low water, would it have been easier with more volume?

Canot, the best part is at the end when the two royalex boats get transported in a wood/canvas freighter. :cool:

Levels were very comfortable, a little bit more would have been welcome but not too much more, I would not have enjoyed a really high water Spring trip.

It was a bumpy ride back to Moosonee but I was very happy not to be paddling.

That looked like a great trip. I read the trip report too, and I kept wondering if it was hot and muggy wearing all that waterproof gear. Looks like a nice variety of landscapes on that river. That shelf by the bay, is that earth or rock?

That looked like a great trip. I read the trip report too, and I kept wondering if it was hot and muggy wearing all that waterproof gear. Looks like a nice variety of landscapes on that river. That shelf by the bay, is that earth or rock?

Temperatures were pretty moderate for the entire trip and on the days I wore a full dry suit it was either cool or wet or both! I'm not very sensitive to heat so wearing a full dry suit rarely bothers me unless there is portaging involved or it's truly hot. Normally I only wear the full suit when there are Class III+/IV to deal with, anything less than that and I just use semi-dry pants.

As for the "shelf", if you mean the cliffs at the last big rapid they are limestone, the south end of the Attawapiskat Formation, on the Harricana only that small bit is exposed. Once past those cliffs it's all regular Hudson Bay clay muck.

Back