• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Bear!!

That's crazy, I wonder if the bear mistook the hunter with a bow as an animal with antlers...like I would know what the bear was thinking. :rolleyes:

crap. That big guy was lucky... Bear spray... bear bangers... But it goes so quick... That is why they say that no matter what you have if your time is up your done!!

As luck would have it I was talking to a couple of guys at work who hunt bears and they were more inclined to the use of a rifled shotgun with sabots than the .30-30 that I was considering.

crap. That big guy was lucky... Bear spray... bear bangers... But it goes so quick... That is why they say that no matter what you have if your time is up your done!!
Both people I know that got attacked by bears had a gun. One was attacked while asleep in his tent, the other was dressing out his deer and his gun was leaned up against a tree when it happened. He ended up killing that griz with his knife. Both sustained severe injuries.

A third guy , a friend of a friend, was hunting the bear that got him. It just about ripped his face off but he was able to ride his snowmobile back to the road a couple hours away.

The big problem with guns is that they are fine if you are hunting the bears... Even a 30-30 would do the job. But when a bear is charging you and not a false charge but a full on I want to get rid of you charge, you better have a big gun/rifle/shotgun and be quick, accurate and know what to do with that gun in a hurry!! And most people don't practice enough or at all with there guns to be all 3 at the same time... And only one of the 3 won't do the job.

As for the right gun to carry, a 12 gauge with the first shot being 00 buckshot, then a slug.... The idea behind that is that with the first shot you don't have to be super precise, aim for the shoulders/chest area, it will slow him/her down and then the slug well placed in the front left shoulder should get it down... Head shot might ricochet on the scull, It happened to a friend of mine on a moose with a 300 remington Ultra mag.....

Bear spray is proven to be the most efficient defence against bears!

The hunter did not engage the bear. It looks like he had decided not to prior to the bear engaging the hunter. Mind set determined the results. Will make for a good story at home!

The very same one.

It's surprising how easily the bear covers that distance so quickly, and how that distance seems safe enough to begin with.

Indeed it was Odyssey,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCqmotxyME

this is a bit longer.

But I agree that he decided to pass on the shot and then the arrow slipped off.

I think about having a bear rug - but I am not there yet. I had some 30.06 fail to fire with dented primer this year. at least caribou are not out to eat you.

Thanks for that second one GearFreak.
I was trying to discern the wind direction but couldn't, though it might not have made any difference to the bear's decision to charge. Those camera lenses make it hard to judge distance. It seemed like a good 100 yards down the road and nonchalantly rooting around, but headed his way. Hard to know if the bear was aware of this hunter all along or was spooked as it approached. Was the guy being stalked or was this a chance encounter?

All I can get from the clip is looks like the wind was coming between head on to 30 degrees to the right, and raining. Tough for the bruin to hear/smell. I think he caught something on the wind just prior, but just spooked when he noticed the hunter. It doesn't look like predatory from what I have read.

No way I would go after a bear with that rig. I see trailcam pics from bait stations in MB and I would be nervous heading to a stand with a gun never mind a bow.

Bears fascinate me - I have a healthy respect for the creatures. The closest encounter was in Riding mountain - he was about 15 feet in front of me. No sound, no smell and thankfully wanted nothing to do with me or my companion. If they don't want you to see them - you wont.

I carry spray, and bangers when I go in the backwoods. As part of the session i lead we let two participants let off bangers. I have shot off the spray a few times - you don't get much time out of a can.

Always get the big can, not those silly little toy ones!

Bear just wanted the guy out of his personal space.

I don't think it was anything near 100 yards away. I presume the hunter knew the bear was there and was stalking it?

It seems fairly common for folk to be fussing with their camera instead of concentrating on the important stuff.

those 1895 guide guns are the shiznit for sure. My buddy in Fairbanks has one, we laid it between us at night in camp on float trips for moose. Course as mentioned you have to have it ready in time, which is easier said than done the way those encounters usually go...

This guy had his bow shot around 1:03-06, but I suppose was either waiting for a chip shot or intended to pass regardless. Bow hunting on the ground is a lot different than being perched in a tree where you have all sorts of time to wait for a perfect shot. On the ground with a bow you have a split second to make the first good shot presented. Otherwise the odds of getting busted go up exponentially as the game animal gets closer, which is what happened here.

I agree with the others too that he didn't do anything to provoke the bear other than maybe being within the fight or flight zone when the bear detected him. He's very lucky to come away unscathed for sure.

That video made the Today show today on NBC but we saw it here first.

Gerald, I'd love to have one of those 45-70s but I still think I'd take my 12 gage if I were taking a long gun.

Those 45-70's are good for the elusive elephant bear. Man they pack a wallop.

I have a bear hide. Most expensive piece of nothing I own. Cant have it out or the dogs will chew it so it sits tucked away in my cedar chest. I hunt bear with a .30-06 and it works well. Not interested in the sporting aspect of it. I like the meat and use the fat to cook. My objective is to put the animal down as quickly as possible for his sake and for mine. Dragging 300 pounds of bear 300m through the bush at mosquito hour sucks.

That guy was mighty lucky and would love to hear what happened when the camera fell. I have had many close encounters with bears but thankfully none have resulted in intimate contact.

Back