• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

TransCanada Fryway

Mapping out my trip.. So far Freddies in Deep River.. (I am driving cross Canada).. That there is nothing on TV tonight is a bonus
This is a great series of videos with a bit of history too!

glad I can skip Mattawa. tis too soon after Deep RIver. Can't decide which in Sturgeon Falls ( Will it be fry time already?) Oh no need to save room for Massey

By this time I will explode

The history is interesting, some of it really funny too. Samuel De Champlain holding up a box of fries with trade goods at his feet?
IIRC in the original drawing Champlain is holding an astrolabe.

http://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exhi...e/222eng.shtml

As much as I love fries and gravy I'm not sure I could handle even one order per day on a multi-day road trip. Oof.
Still, it's fun, and after all the scenic spots have been seen one might as well tick boxes of best foodie places between here and somewhere. Good luck on your trip YC, and happy trails.

Last edited:
By the time we got cross Canada I would have need of Dulcolax and Mylanta with that much food.. Its funny that even with not seeking out chip stands by the time we return home I am done with fries for a long time.

I always stop at the chip wagon in Vermillion Bay no matter which direction or what time of day. Salt, vinegar, mmmmmmmmmm. Sadly they said their lease on the gas station site was up and not being renewed.

I can live on fries, multiple times per day, let alone per week. The only problem with that is Gramma will get fat(ter). Sighhhhhhh.

By the time we got cross Canada I would have need of Dulcolax and Mylanta with that much food.. Its funny that even with not seeking out chip stands by the time we return home I am done with fries for a long time.
LOL! Miranda is a bigger french fry fanatic than I. And I think her standards are lower. Hmm. That could explain a lot? Anyway, there are a few chip places around town here where we live, all of them I'd rate as 2 forks out of 5. She OTOH raves about them (and she hates gravy?!) I'd like us to try some of the chip wagons from this video to readjust our expectations and educate our potato palates. I'm not sure what an excellent fry tastes like, although I've put in the effort at making the perfect batch at home; double fried in duck fat (I think it's a French thing). I wonder if they're made like that in La Belle Province? Mine have always been slathered and smothered in gravy and squeaky fromage, so I could never tell the difference.

Oh, and if we're doing the British chippy thing it's cider vinegar and salt. Nowt else.
Miranda has gone all European on me insisting on mayonnaise on the side. (The duck fat was her idea.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...o_french_fries

Last edited:
Back