• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Quick GC edit

Reaction score
So the lost and found trip of Grand Canyon from January keeps on unfolding. I got an email from a kind-hearted soul living out in Meadview who came across a red helmet with a camera attached amongst the flotsam and jetsam of Lake Mead. No name inside (you'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now, but who thinks they will lose their HELMET!) so they contacted their tech-savvy daughter who tracked me down from a Lost & Found post on a Western Rivers forum. Helmet returned. GoPro attached. Contact at the Pearce Ferry takeout added to Roladex. I haven't yet learned the art of go-proing myself when I'm alone (yes, verbing weirds language), I just turn the thing on and hope to get something. But here's a quick three minute forty-three second edit with some scenes from the canyon.

PS: the helmet and camera floated about sixty miles over two months down the remainder of the river and across Lake Mead. The helmet is pretty disgusting and I haven't been able to wear it due to the putrid smell (it might just go in the helmet museum). The casing on the GoPro is torn to pieces. But sure enough, camera = fine, videos = intact. Imagine that!

WOW ! That ought to be a selling point for Go Pro cameras ! Cool !
Jim

That's a good piece of luck and a testament to the ruggedness of the GoPro and your helmet! Thanks for sharing the short video, very enjoyable.

dougd

Great Grand Canyon wall o' water, Skwidman... that's something there smashing through the waves.

The helmet is pretty disgusting and I haven't been able to wear it due to the putrid smell..

Plants OTOH will probably find it great, maybe something xerophytic to match the dry desert lands as a reminder.

2daf952f86b775a0db2da238cc0616e2.jpg

Very cool! The solo go-pro rodeo video mix was every bit as exciting as your write up has been inspiring.
Thanks Uncle. Incredible trip with many happy endings.

Were there times when you wished you had a "beefier" bail or were really concerned if the one you had would last?

Tabarnac! What a thing, in this world of millions of people that camera finds its way back to you!

I am starting to think that Skwid has some magical powers that see stolen boats and lost gear find their way home.

Next he will probably find his Yeti soft side cooler in a local Goodwill for $5.

I enjoyed the video, even though I vicariously swam a half dozen times while watching. I hope Skwid shares that tale & video with the GoPro folks; helluva testimonial.

Thanks for the kindnesses. It's been a long strange trip for certain and it seems to keep on keeping on. Tom Martin of Grand Canyon fame typed up a little mini-report for the "record" on his River Runners for Wilderness site and Grand Canyon folks are weighing in. (There was even one kind soul who thought the Phantom Ranch ticket so ridiculous he offered to help with the cost!) I certainly don't mind and it's enabling me to tell the tale over and over through phone calls and email and that certainly works for me.

But then at some point this whole lost and found thing starts to get whacky. The boat and helmet and well...

...the story of the GoPro goes back even a little further, and is definitely being related to the GoPro folks. It was initially found by one of our geologists here at work, half-buried in the sand and water on Cape Hatteras. The last video when he fired it up showed the camera strapped to the back of a dog jumping around in the water, and then sliding off the dog, and then rolling around in the sand being pushed around by the surf until the battery died. We don't know how long it washed around in the surf on the beach. When the guy couldn't find any way of contacting the owner, he brought it to work, apparently having no interest in the camera's capabilities, and we bought it from him for a couple dollars to help out with sanitary and storm manhole inspections. (Camera on a stick.) Then we, as a company, acquired a remote TV underground pipe inspection camera and crew and the GoPro lost its relevance and sat on the shelf with the rest of our unused equipment. That's about when I realized it might be kind of fun to play with and I've been attempting to use it ever since. (With mixed results.) In other words, this is the SECOND time the housing for the camera has been replaced, and the SECOND time this camera has spent some time flushing around in the water. I really do find it weird, uncanny, and slightly amazing that this camera simply won't go away. Part of me wants to take it to some random river, say, the Mississippi, toss it off a bridge, and see if it makes it's merry way back to Virginia. I feel like I wouldn't bet against it.

Of course now we all have renewed interest in finding the original owner, which may or may not be totally impossible but would certainly be Carl Sagan kind of Cosmic.

At this point I might even be playing the lottery were it not for the fact that I have a Subaru Outback being worked on by total strangers in Asheville, NC, as we speak, I mean, down where my wife and I blew the Turbo and Head Gasket apart on a trip to one of my favorite of all east coast destinations: Western North Carolina. The Subaru only has 120,000 miles so to me it's worth fixing, but ouch what a bill. (At least it blew up in Asheville which, in case you didn't know, is like the MicroBrewing Capital of the World.) So it's yin and yang. Give and take. The charmed magnetism apparently only works for things lost, not broken. Then again, the shop is run by some spicy and fiesty young women and for some reason I'm not too worried. They call me every few days and I'm hoping to hang out with them when I go back to pick it up. If I'm lucky. Another excuse to head to Western NC.

So but anyway lest you think I've abandoned the writing of the Grand Canyon tale, I haven't. I'm still living it. And there's an interested publishing party tugging on the hook so I'm keeping things offline for the time being. Besides, I'm spilling a lot of words and many of them are unnecessary and I don't want to needlessly clog up the pipelines of the internet. (Forgive me.)

snubber Ya. You're likely to get more of my philosophy here than you bargained for. But I haven't let loose onto the canoetripping forum in a while, so ...

The decision to go without the worry of a pump led to the decision to go without worry or fear and simply pull over and dump when needed which led to the decision to go without much of a bailer which led to the last minute decision (literally cutting off the bottom of a gallon water jug at the put-in with a knife) to take SOMETHING for scooping water. My old mentor used to say find a sloping rock and turn yourself over onto the rock to dump water without detaching from the boat, but he's full of crap. But the whole idea or philosophy behind the electric bilge pump has been rolling around in my head for a bit. I did pick up (also last minute), one of those hand pumps which was almost completely useless. I mean totally useless. And being awkward and long, even beyond useless. (I lost that ridiculous thing when I rolled in Doris Rapid--mile 138--but when I rolled up and saw it floating away I had other things on my mind and frankly, at that point I wasn't busting my butt going after it. Again: forgive me. One of these days I'm going to write a review of the NRS hand pump, but I'd like to hear beforehand exactly what people use it for.) And it's true, the big rapids mostly swamped the boat to the gunwales and I would make my heavy way to the water's edge and dump. Most of the time the running of the big rapids was an involved time consuming affair anyway. I'd get out before the rapid. Look at the rapid. Run the rapid. Get out after the rapid. Look again. Dump the boat. Celebrate. Snap some smiley photos. Etc. I as well underestimated the VOLUME of water, so I was quite thankful for the bailer. One false lean in even the smaller rapids would dump gallons of water into the boat and the bailer was useful for those not-enough-to-get-out-and-dump moments. In the end, I mean, philosophically speaking, in the end part of the beauty and dance of the open boat is running rapids with minimal water intake: keep your sides high and your lean tight and ride up and over. If you can. Hashtag NOPUMPS.

So but I've pulled them out of all my boats now and I'm 100% pump free and really, more than some arbitrary preference, I think at least part of this mentality gets to the heart of the difference between canoers and kayakers. If you've ever boated with kayakers when they gather like maggots at the local dam release, you'll note the herd mentality driving them down the river in gigantic packs, newbies following experts who know the river like nobody's business, long strings of kayaks following the boat in front, again and again, over and over, round and round in their laps, bombing through without pause or interregnum or scout or anything. By contrast open boaters are constantly stopping to bail and dump, scout lines, reunite somebody with their boat, look at the trees, call a safety meeting, duct tape a hole in the RX. The difference is almost palpable. The open canoe pump has to some small degree become for me a symbol of what I don't like about modern paddling. (I know people who have not one but TWO pumps mounted into their NINE FOOT canoes, and they run the river like legions of kayakers. At some point you want to say: just get a kayak and that water won't splash into your boat.) Hashtag LEAVETHEFESTIVALBEHIND.

End rant. By Pearce Ferry that poor gallon jug was beat to heck, disfigured, warped, cracked, etc. But it worked all the way to the bitter end and I never even had to wrap tape around the pop-off lid. It never came off.

By the way: I love a sponge. I never leave home without a sponge in my boat.

This story just keeps getting better. Loved the video. Much bigger water than I'd want to be paddling in. The difference in color/clarity of the water was striking. I particularly liked the rapid where the two seemed to be blending together. I presume the helmet falling in the water at the end was when it was lost?

I found Tom's brief (and not very interesting) account of your trip: https://rrfw.org/riverwire/rrfw-riverwire-joe-schuppe-takes-canoe-solo-through-grand-canyon

I hope you don't let anyone ghost write for you or let them convince you to trim away too much of the fat, so to speak. Fingers crossed that one day your journey is on my book shelf.

Alan

The last video when he fired it up showed the camera strapped to the back of a dog jumping around in the water, and then sliding off the dog, and then rolling around in the sand being pushed around by the surf until the battery died. We don't know how long it washed around in the surf on the beach.

Does that video still exist? If so it should have a date stamp embedded in it....assuming it was set correctly on the camera in the first place.

Alan

Good call there, Alan. I'll definitely look into the time stamp on the video...

I told Tom as much about the writing style, too, for certain, and he reminded me this is for the record, and he gets no points for style.

And no worries about ghost writers or overly exuberant editors. They won't get the Privilege. The story in my mind is mostly about the words, not whatever stupid crap we're all trying to say. If you want to communicate, a beloved professor once said, pick up your telephone and put down your pen. We're not here to communicate, we're here to paint in words. Over the top, as he often was, but I don't write for a newspaper, and I don't write to tell you what I think I might know, but to find out what's on my mind. Henry James once said: How do I know what I'm thinking if I haven't written it down?? True. That.

For example: and in other news, I'm glad you sold that Bloodvein. I had told myself if you hadn't sold it in a month I'd head that weird Iowa or whatever direction and paddle whatever crossed my path and buy my first handcrafted boat. Seemed like a steal to me for a grand. A steal. But with a car in NC getting serious repairs and a new boat at the warehouse under outfitting construction and four overseas airplane tickets to buy for July... whew. Glad it was sold. I'll wait for your heavily rockered "Moise" design. Give me some good tripping design, long enough for 30 days, nimble enough for to spin 360s on eddy lines, durable for some heavy handed waterfall miscalculations... or maybe easy repair! Ah well. I'm at the bar rambling again. Not knowing what Im thinking till I say it. I'm working up to purchasing a real (read: LEGIT) handcrafted boat. I hope one day to make that drive.

Peace. JS

I'll wait for your heavily rockered "Moise" design. Give me some good tripping design, long enough for 30 days, nimble enough for to spin 360s on eddy lines, durable for some heavy handed waterfall miscalculations... or maybe easy repair! Ah well. I'm at the bar rambling again. Not knowing what Im thinking till I say it. I'm working up to purchasing a real (read: LEGIT) handcrafted boat. I hope one day to make that drive.

Better yet drive up here and help build it yourself. 30 day trip=two weeks to build it and two weeks to paddle it.

Alan

Back