• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Glimpses of a Canoe Trip - 1936

Thanks, that was fun. I slowed the playback speed to .75 and it made the paddling pace seem more realistic. I was wondering at first if those guys intended to keep up that paddling pace all day...

I’ve only ever portaged using the paddles lashed to the thwarts method- like those guys. Did you notice the handy padded neck ring used to help make the canoe carry more comfortable? For a long time i had a PFD with a neck float component that served the same purpose.

Great video. Had a little bit of everything. I liked the guy smoking his pipe while loading the canoe. Very nonchalant. I liked the excellent vertical forward strokes. I think, though, that the poker hands were staged.

The essence of canoe trips haven't changed in 84 years. Thanks Oddy, for letting us enjoy the trip.

Indeed. I was trying to keep a mental tally of what was different, and I didn't come up with much. Funny pants with argyle socks, dragging logs with peaveys, rather small coffee mug, and what's with portaging in jockey shorts, didn't they have mosquitoes back then? But really it was same as it ever was.

They didn't seem all that worried about their W/C boats, they treated them the way we treat plastic boats today.

Good one, Thanks. The red canoe looked like 15’ Chestnut Chum with the single thwart and up turned ends, and the way it wobbled with two adults in it as they paddled by ads to my theory. Maybe I just got tunnel vision and everything looks like a Chum to me.

What say you Fitz?

Hi Robin!

Those wood and canvas canoes can take a beating, huh? But you knew that!:)

This was 1936 and I am not sure when the Chum was officially offered in the catalogues. It could be the earlier version of the Chum, whatever that was. I noticed heart-shaped decks, tapered keels (not really that common on Chestnuts), and "standard' width ribs. Definitely not Prospectors, so maybe the pleasure canoes make sense. The heart shaped decks did not have that "Chestnut" looking appearance to me (too big and lacking a crown?). I was also bothered by the seat caning visible when they shoulder the canoes. The weave looks very fine and not Chestnut like. I am just not sure they are Chestnuts, but I am not sure what other canoe would make sense. Perhaps a Quebec builder, but they look better than the typical production canoe out of Quebec.

I will dwell on it a bit more.

Fitz

It's crazy to see how skinny and fit everyone was in old movies. My dad was 160lbs into his 40s. I haven't seen 160 since I was 14, lol.

Looked to me like they were taking extra measures to protect their boats. Certainly doing a lot more than I ever did when paddling a w/c canoe.

Back