• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Video: Across Labrador

Reaction score
I just watched the first episode of this brand new YouTube series, "Across Labrador by Canoe," documenting a young man's 83-day, 1700-kilometer solo trip with his dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxb-zVhwf5A&t=0s

It looks like he may be a little over his head at the start. In the first video he admits he tried and failed to ferry across a river with the result that he ends up going down some rapids he was trying to avoid. But in spite of the near miss, he seems very determined and quite resilient and is able to adjust his plans as weather and other misfortunes befall him.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the trip.

Great video , very well done. Not your typical run of the mill youtube video.

Watched it too. Waiting for the next one. I was surprised he did not mention how he lost his tooth. Did I miss it?

I think he took a bridge out. Not sure why. He is an ex amateur hockey player so probably an old injury.

Yeah, and I love that that water dog Saku. Infectious joy bounding along the shoreline in the pissing rain.
I still haven't finished their (our) walk across Newfoundland.

Last edited:
Did anyone else think his tent was too close to the rivers edge what with all that rain? The fact that he didn’t edit that out says a lot about him imo.

He’s a tough dude, looking forward to the rest of the trip.

Yes, I too was uneasy seeing him pitching a tent that close to a river in the rain. Also noticing an old channel behind that gravel bar made me worried. Still, seeing the water level the next morning still came as a shock to me. All that wading is wearing me out. He is one tough dude.Thoroughly enjoying his trips. I wish him safe travels.

Last edited:
He’s making mistakes (canoeing skills/setting up tent too close to water) but not trying to gloss over them, which I think we all agree is good; it’s real and he’s not pretend to be an expert. Shows character.

And he’s quite plainly tough.

Evidently he learned from his mistakes ! Or we wouldn't be watching this video ! Ha !

Fun to watch !

Thanks for sharing !

Jim

I guess he made it back since he was able to put the video together. haha! Yeah he made mistakes but at his age who does not. Tough as nails as are most Newfoudlanders. Can't wait to see what is next.
Gerald

Dang, that looks like a lot of hard work! Very impressive, that despite the real struggle, he can remain so focussed and committed to the filming.

i never thought that anyone on this CT site, for me, could ever rival Alan’s dog Sadie, but I love that Saku!

I had never heard of a Cape Shore Water Dog before, Saku seems like a good companion on this canoe trip. Looking forward to Part 2

Saku gave me a nervous chuckle when she was eyeing that branch in the water as they were drifting by.

Last edited:
I saw a post by Justin that he’s off on a winter trip for a month and didn’t get the editing done in time to release part 2.

For anyone in the Midwest who is attending Canoecopia in Madison Wisconsin, March 13 - 15, Justin Barbour from the video will be presenting. I do not know if he will be taking his dog or not. I am looking forward to hearing him speak to his video.

Bob.

Back