• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Mourning the loss of independent outfitter shops

G

I have been looking for a proprietary piece of outfitting, specifically the Y-connector piece that fits between the Scotty rod base mount and the carbon-fiber battens on a Spirit Sail. Those critical connector pieces do not float, and I could use a couple, or at least one more.

I used the Wayback Machine to find every past vendor of Spirit Sails, a product discontinued several years ago, ISO any outfitter who had a Y piece, or even a full sail kit, left in stock.

20+ calls to vendors. 17 were out of business.

That is not good a good trend for those of us who prefer to support brick & mortar family Paddlesport businesses. The few who were still in business were fun to talk to, if depressing about what’s happening in their retail sales world.

Support your local paddleshop while you can.

Could not agree more! We used to have a wonderful canoe outfitter shop nearby (Cartwright and Danewell) but due in large part to Wal-mart and other big box stores they could no longer compete. Everybody and their brother was selling canoes albeit plastic tubs cheaper. What a shame as He had top quality merchandise. What to do!!!!!!!

I try to support the mom and pop stores as much as possible but the day is coming.......................Jackpine Jerry

When I get my teeth into something I am a pit bull. Of those 20+ Spirit Sail vendors called many of the phone numbers were bee-boo-bop “Out-of-service”, so I Googled each outfitter name ISO perhaps a current phone number.

That was a depressing exercise. Every single bee-boo-bop number was out of business. Places that I had heard about for years as an outfitter source, places like the semi-famous Small Boat Shop in Norwalk CT, closed now several years. SBS, I never even got to know ye.

http://www.connyak.org/cgi-bin/BBS.pl/md/read/id/98419/sbj/small-boat-shop-closing/

“All good things must come to an end, including the Small Boat Shop in Norwalk. We will be closing our doors on May 31.
It has been a good run. We got a lot of people out on the water in good boats, educated many, helped a few good causes, and were even contributing factors in a few marriages.
Thank you to the paddling community for all of your support over the past 30+ years.”

That is a touching if depressing eulogy for 30 years of small business service to the paddling community.

Our only metro-area paddlesport shop, Spring Creek Outfitters, shut their doors a dozen years ago. We held a wake for longtime customers and staff in the store on the last day. T’was a proper wake, with booze and food and music and other delectables, and everyone present autographed a manufacturer’s banner in remembrance.

Just this month Potomac Paddlesports threw in the towel.

http://www.monocacyboard.org/mboard/msg/62009.html

BTW, that sale priced stuff on the link was gone in days. I almost drove down for some minicel and bungee and maybe some rack parts, but it must have been akin to a Black Friday zoo with folks lined up at the doors, they sold out of everything in two days.

“Thanks to everyone who came in day 2 of our sale. Lots of hugs. Everything is gone and we will be closed tomorrow”

Fortunately my nearest (an hour away) outfitter shop, Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville/Harrisburg PA is still going strong, and they are a full service paddleshop with an amazing inventory of canoes and kayaks, hundreds of paddles and PFDs to hold and try on, and all manner of other gear, parts and pieces, as well as boat repair and custom outfitting services.

That depth and breadth of that service, and their reputation, is probably why BMO has survived as a brick & mortar store.

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/

I need to drive up there and drop some coin soon.

Back