2 Site Mechanics Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Site Mechanics Questions

My apologies if the answers to these are already posted.
    1. Is there any way to quote portions of a (single or multiple) post(s) without using additional software?
    2. What circumstances must be met for me to get notified via email that someone has responded or liked my post. Email notification Vs. Site notification Vs. No notification. Does it have to do with whom is the original author of the post?
    Thanksomuch

You can quote using the Quote button (bottom left of every post), if you want to multiple posts copy the text and use the Quote widget on the toolbar (click on the underlined A on the above the text box (hover to see it as "Use Advanced Editor"

To get notified of replies just click on the Subscribe button (right side above your post) or use the Settings (Notifications Tab) from the dropdown arrow next to your username at the very top right (this will subscribe you to ANY thread you start).

Comment

Thanks recped
      The Quote button at the bottom of each post for me is at the bottom right. Is this incorrect? I've used this one before and it quotes the ENTIRE post which I am trying to avoid as want only parts as posts can get long. I see people do this every day somehow. I have the Advanced Editor open and hovered over the various buttons thinking the one that looks like a Quote is the one to use for quoting only portions?? I just gave it a try by highlighting a portion of your post #2 and clicking it however all that it copies/quotes is this...

QUOTE][/QUOTE]

None of your text came through.

Once I/we get this solved, I will check into the "Subscribe" feature you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by mwaalen View Post
        The Quote button at the bottom of each post for me is at the bottom right. Is this incorrect? I've used this one before and it quotes the ENTIRE post which I am trying to avoid as want only parts as posts can get long.
        Just use the regular quote button, which includes the entire post, and edit out what you don't want. It's not locked in stone. You can delete as much of the quoted text as you wish. You can even delete all the quoted text and insert your own to put words in people's mouths. For example:

I'm a pretty little milk maid.
        Alan

Comment

I have the Advanced Editor open and hovered over the various buttons thinking the one that looks like a Quote is the one to use for quoting only portions?? I just gave it a try by highlighting a portion of your post #2 and clicking it however all that it copies/quotes is this...

None of your text came through.
          That feature simply gives you the quote tags so that you you can copy/paste text between them. Copy a portion of text you want to quote, paste it between the beginning and ending quote tags,and in your response it will appear as a quote.

Alan

Comment

Diabolical. I love it! Lemme try...

Originally posted by Alan Gage View Post

Just use the regular quote button, which includes the entire post, and edit out what you don't want. It's not locked in stone. And...Don't forget the annual Diaper Baby Barbie Party At My House This Sat. 1:00 Sharp! Bring Your Llamas!

Alan

Did that work??
            Last edited by mwaalen; 11-11-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

So I've got the "editable" quote feature figured out and seems easy-enough. Also have no further plans to edit someone els's words as done with the above first try. Just playing off the earlier twist in my words...which I though was super funny. . Thanks for that.

As for the notifications/subscriptions I am still a bit confused. Until just yesterday I've not subscribed to a CanoeTripping post, not even my own however have received a number of notifications for likes & responses. Both notifications in e-mails, and also notifications within the site when logged on.

Q: Why do some notifications come to my personal e-mail address & others appear only when logged onto the site?
              Q: Must I subscribe to my own posts in order to get those notifications as well?
              Q: If I never (until yesterday) subscribed to any post, how/why would've I been getting intermittent e-mail and forum notifications for some of my forum activity in the past?

As I just finished typing this remembered reading last night that FAQs can be seen only when logged off so I probably should've searched there initially for answers to my questions.

Any and all help is welcome along with dope slaps.

P.S...Being now subscribed to this thread anticipating once I post this reply will get some sort of notification that I am talking to myself.

Thanks again
              Micah

Comment

Have you gone to User Setting - Notifications?

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/.../notifications

Comment

Just did now so things are making more sense seeing the options. I did receive an email notification of your above post and also the forum notification which I had hoped for and expected as finally subscribed to this thread at that time. All is well on that front.

Still wondering why I received (some) email notifications from posts I engaged in months ago having not been subscribed to them at that time.

Also wondering what is the difference...replying vs. commenting to/on a topic as in the notification settings they are seperate check boxes.

Somewhat expected to see a notification (upon finally subscribing) to this topic for my last post but did not get one. I guess we are not notified of our own activity as that would be absurd.

Thanks again for the conversation and no obligation to help with the above confusions as I think it will all sort out once I adjust those notification settings.

Micah

Comment

Working...
                  X