• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hello from Michigan

Reaction score
Hello everyone and happy to join this forum. I've been canoeing for over 40 years, mostly day canoeing for trout as I like to fly fish. I have done a some tripping in Montana and Ontario. After recently donating 3 canoes to a boys camp that needed them, I am down to 3 canoes. Two of them are wood canvas, a tandem and a solo and this summer purchased a Northstar Phoenix solo which I used this summer on Montana;s Smith river for 5 days. Looking forward to making new friends here and contributing when I can.

Welcome to the forum!

Your Phoenix isn't by chance a factory second with crooked skid plates, is it?

Glad to see yet another member from the Northwoods here. This is an excellent community, with very knowledgeable folks from all over.

Zac

Thanks for the welcome fellas.
Zac - no, the Phoenix I purchased does not have skid plates on it. I thought it was a little funny but they advised against the skid plates.

Welcome to canoetripping. Sounds like you found the right place. This was a good year for the Smith River, lots of water. It's good to hear that some canoes were on it this year. It's sad, but the Smith used to be primarily a canoeing river, but they're somewhat rare now according to numbers ive seen.

Mark

Hello Jackpine. So you are clone or on the trophy waters. I have floated there and fished - really nice water. I'll be headed up a couple of times this fall - maybe a solo trip on the Pigeon.

dogbrain - the Smith trip this year: Sadly, for 5 days I don't recall seeing any other canoes except our group, Lots of guide rafts and some family pontoons with a top for the sun. Too bad cause it's such a nice canoe stream with some small rocky rapids and tricky maneuvers near the walls. Was a nice trip. IMG_0113.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 0
cpaddler I used to own the Canoe rental " Gotts' Landing along with the trophy waters fly shop. Sold the whole thing several years ago. I used to fish the stretch from Mio to Comins flats a lot.

Welcome aboard. I have not been here too long myself.

Back