• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Hello From Vermont

Reaction score
I'm sure I would never have found this marvelous site but for a chance encounter with DougD on the Rapid River last fall in Maine. I've been lurking and learning ever since. My wife Karen and I started canoe tripping 4 years ago, in an inherited Royalex, 16 foot, Mad River Explorer with basically the same equipment we used car camping with our 3 kids for many summers. The kiddos are all "launched" now, and plane rides away. We're both still working, but have been able to canoe/camp 4-5 times a year. We've done Allagash Wilderness Waterway trips the past 3 years and long weekend ventures in VT and NH. We are newbie paddlers, learning a lot, having a blast, and appreciating the unique opportunities to enjoy nature canoe tripping provides. I learn something new on this site every time I visit, and look forward to being a positive contributor. Thanks to everyone who makes this site so special.

Hi Rick and Karen, I recall our meeting up on the trail up the Rapid River. We chatted for a bit and I remember you saying how you like our site setup. Five folks decided which is the best way nightmare! ;-) I'm glad you joined the Forum, I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

dougd

Thanks! Stories forthcoming! Doug, the thing I recall most about your site was how varied it was, but all so functional. Hammocks and tents, canoes and kayaks, single and double blades, high and low boat seating. You and the "Gentleman" had most of the bases covered, and it all worked. Very instructive for Karen and I as it demonstrated so many effective ways to get the job done.

Welcome Rick!
We’re almost Neighbor’s
If ever you plan to visit the Adirondacks there’s some fantastic paddling and camping opportunities here
I hope you continue to enjoy the forum and can contribute too
Who knows, you may even end up building a boat!

Thanks stripperguy! Karen and I are looking forward to our first Adirondack adventure this coming October. We're thinking a long weekend, 3 nights, and researching trip reports now. I am actually contemplating building a stripper. Our 16 foot MR Explorer is not big enough for longer trips. We've been renting a 17 foot Tripper from Norm L'Italien, Pelletier's Campground, for our Allagash trips.

Back