• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

62 Years of Canoe Tripping

Reaction score
After a circuit of Algonquin with 15 miles of carries during Major Hurricane Andrew a coworker commented, "next time why don’t you just have your wife drop you off 30 miles form your house with the canoe and gear and you can just walk home.”
06333, CT

Ya got me beat, I was 14 when we paddled off down Muskrat Lake in Cobden, Ontario. My friend's dad gave him the weekend off for chores on their small dairy farm so we packed the canoe with a tarp off one of the machines in the field, some home made jam and bread and a couple of .22's. We cut spruce bogs and slept under wool blankets. It was a good start, 56 years ago.
06058, Ct

You got me beat also. I was in my early 20's when I started. First trip was with our newborn son in now what is known as "Le Parc Papineau-Labelle" situated about half way between Montreal and La Vérendrye.

Hoping to add on to those years in the coming late summers.

Got me beat. First overnight canoe trip was up the Oswegatchie in the Adirondacks in 1962. 57 years ago.. I remember the boys jumping in the water and walking on it. It was early May just after ice out.

I am only 60, soooooooo that pretty much leaves me out.

I started doing canoe trips in 76' but I didn't become a "canoe tripper" until the 90's. Before that I was just a guy who liked to camp and fish, lived on a river and owned a canoe.

I'm close...started in 1961 or 1960 in the St Regis Ponds area with my father and uncles strictly for fishing and hunting, it was like a job!!...I never liked the fishing and hunting, but I'veloved the paddling and camping. I've been doing both ever since.
My 1st "real" trip was in '76 with a buddy, and I built my 1st canoe two years later.
I'm still hooked!! On paddling, camping and boat building.

My first canoe camping trip was with my best friend (who I am still in contact with despite him being on the West Coast and me on the East Coast) at age 18 (I am now 65). We did a 5-day trip on the Racquette River in the Adirondacks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Back