• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Ohio-Born, Wilderness-Bound

Reaction score
Hey folks! As many here are, I'm a long time lurker finally getting in on the fun. I'm originally from northwest Ohio, I did four years in the Navy, and now I'm living in Connecticut. I've always had a passion for nature, a knack for adventure, and a drive to do things my way, with the confidence to do them on my own if that should be required. I just came back from a 40-day stint wandering the highways and byways of the US, a trip I did with no plan or schedule as a way to detach from the ridged structure I knew in the Navy, and which I payed for but playing music in the bars and restaurants and street corners of this beautiful nation. This summer I'm planning a 40-day mostly-solo trip to the BWCA (can't you tell I have a thing for the 40-day trips?), which is most of the reason I finally came out of hiding. Pardon me if I end up picking everyone's brain at some point, that's what I'm here for; to access the massive wealth of knowledge which the members of this forum hold.

Looking forward to interacting with you all!

Welcome to the board! I'm sure some who are familiar with the BWCA will chime in. A little bit to far for me to travel from my hole in the wall in NH.

dougd

Heyyy. Lots of ex military here. And we all love a good walkabout. Or paddle as the case may be. Forty days in the Boundary waters sounds ok to me.

Christine

Why the BWCA ?
Its not terribly wildernessy though you will find spots of it
If you have to go that far choosecQuetico Woodland Caribou or Wabakimi and get wilderness
You dont have to go that far to get a BWCA type experience
Algonquin PP is two days of driving closer and a kittle bigger in size
Temagami just a few hours further (11 hours) is even bigger and better
And remember Labrador
All are alot more accessible from CT
I lived there 17 years before escaping to Maine

You might consider the Northern Forest Canoe Trail since you have the time
Relatively close start
Its about five hours to the start in Old Forge and 15 hours to the end
Lots is in less crowded areas than BWCA

If you do go to the BWCA and can wait until at least mid-August and spend lots of September there the usage is much less. There are also Primitive Management Areas (PMA's) in the BWCA where only 1 permit is issued per week that you can get. These areas are not maintained much and you can camp anywhere.

Welcome to the site, Stoney Oats.

Thank you for your service!

This members of this site will generally talk down on the BWCA for overcrowding reasons and maybe because it's just too easy. It is quite entry-level compared to the places many members here travel. Don't let them ruin it for you! Let the crowds do that on their own, if they ever do. Most of my longer trips have been in the BWCA as well (never as long as 40 nights). It helps that I live nearby. The skills I have honed in the BWCA have prepared me for going farther in more remote places that garner more street cred amongst us wilderness snobs. Drop me a line when you're planning this big trip, I'm in the area frequently and could help with a shuttle or otherwise. Us young folks (assumed you're under 40, correct me if I'm wrong) gotta stick together or the retirees here will walk all over us!

(Mostly) kidding aside, this is a great site with friendly, knowledgeable members and a standard of respect and decency so often lost on the internet today. Welcome!

Zac

p.s. Yellowcanoe (and many others here) have invaluable knowledge of places to paddle that are much closer to you than the BWCA. I would also like to use this opportunity to thank YC for his advice given me earlier this year when I went to Everglades NP, the advice was spot-on and I had a great trip.

his advice....hmm
It just makes no sense to me to drive past so many really good canoe areas to get to the BWCA
Of course timing matters
But when we lived in Eastern CT so easy to run through Ontario
Not so much going through Chicago
Ive been to the BWCA and all the others I mentioned and there is alot here in the East
Now that you are in CT its prime sea kayak
territory
However I did paddle FreeStyle canoe almost every day for an hour on ponds
psst Its ok to kayak and canoe

Back