• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Returning to the canoe after decades

Reaction score
Hi from Michigan !
So ya, I'm putting a paddle back in my hands after a few decades. Time spent in my youth, earning my Eagle scout are calling me back.
As a photographer I've decided it's going to give me more latitude. I've been making custom knives for the last twenty years, it's a solitary profession.
On a personal level I find myself wanting to go to the places where other people are not.
Getting back into paddeling and seeing the changes in technology is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing what photography equipment you end up using while canoeing. Have found that a supper zoom tamron 28- 300 seems to work well from the canoe. Seems though I am always wanting more zoom until that one shot comes along that need s a close shot. Nervous enough taking good camera equipment along in a canoe much less changing lense in the canoe.

Many here will like and discuss your knifes.

My wife says we like to own the river. What she means that even on a day trip we want to go places were other people are not. You will find many others here that are the same.

I am interested too in the equipment you use. I have a Canon 6D with lenses but it never goes in the boat.. Even with an inexpensive Tamron tele its too much investment.. I do use a Canon SX70 HS that is set up for jpeg and RAW ( CR3 not 2.. the compressed version). Optical zoom 21-1365 mm equivalent.. I was tired of loon blobs from the boat. Its not a waterproof camera.. been there and they don't measure up to what I want.
There has been talk of a Sony here though that I have no experience with

Attachments

• photo11314.jpg
    photo11314.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 0
I am interested too in the equipment you use. I have a Canon 6D with lenses but it never goes in the boat.. Even with an inexpensive Tamron tele its too much investment.. I do use a Canon SX70 HS that is set up for jpeg and RAW ( CR3 not 2.. the compressed version). Optical zoom 21-1365 mm equivalent.. I was tired of loon blobs from the boat. Its not a waterproof camera.. been there and they don't measure up to what I want.

This is my travel box.
I replaced my 6D last year with a bigger camera for faster fps. I loved my 6D though, great for taking night photos.
The extra body is a 5Ds R
I have a 14mm f/2.8
100-400mm
1.4x converter
24-105mm
gear stays in the box until the paddeling stops.

Attachments

• photo11316.jpg
    photo11316.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yellow canoe paid $120.00 for an Sony slt-a55v and $35.00 for the tamron. Using a mostly abandoned lense mount and watching auctions for a long time pays off.

Shepard wow what a set up . Understand why it dose not come out till you are off the water. You most likely will end up getting something not so nice and a lot cheaper for on the water. Most of the pictures I take are on the water. Came home one time with pictures of an owl on Back Water Creek. Wife said nice brown blob. That's when I started looking for a cheap dlsr. Two weeks ago on the Wekivia was abel to get some good shots of a bald eagle. Wife had her cell phone out and got some nice brown and white blobs. Was nice enough to let her use my shots on her Facebook

I took this with my 6D a few years ago with a $250, 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon manual focus lens. Like I said it's a great camera for shooting at night.

Attachments

• photo11319.jpg
    photo11319.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 0
Back