• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Hello from SE Ohio

Reaction score
Thanks for having me here, I'm fairly new to canoeing and kayaking, I'm possibly getting my moms old Pere Marquette fiberglass canoe from her and hope to learn from you all.

Welcome to the forum Seth. You have my curiosity up but can you fill us in on the history of the Pere Marquette canoe? A google search comes up with some explorer! Glad to have you on board!

dougd

Welcome....and a pic of the canoe so we can see it please. You will learn a lot from the fine folks on this forum

Niiiiice....get er on the water and get paddling. Then you can start dreaming of more.

From our very own YC.......BN = BC+1............................boats needed = boats currently owned plus 1

Let the obsession begin.

From our very own YC.......BN = BC+1............................boats needed = boats currently owned plus 1, Repeat.

Welcome to the Slippery Slope of Canoe ownership

I don't know much about the company or their canoes, however I know this thing is heavy as sin. We found it in one of my cousins ponds way back in his woods with a shotgun hole in it. it had been there for years. we drug it out, my brother patched the hole with fiberglass resin back in the 90's and now I'm just trying to learn about the laws and such before I start taking this thing out.

Sorry it took so long to get pics and reply, here is the canoe, it measures 16 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 1 foot deep. just for reference, that's my son who's 10 standing on the trailer with it. I have no idea what size motor it would need to get up the Ohio or Muskingum river any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo11001.png
    photo11001.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11002.png
    photo11002.png
    226 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11003.png
    photo11003.png
    212.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11004.png
    photo11004.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11005.png
    photo11005.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11006.png
    photo11006.png
    199.9 KB · Views: 0
When I was a kid and motors were legal in the majority of the BWCA we went pretty much anywhere with an Evinrude 3.5 horse on a 17.5' square stern aluminum canoe. Also used a 21' square stearn Grumman with a 5 horse.

are trolling motors recommended for large river travel? I cant decide between gas or electric for my first motor.

Seth, First & foremost, Welcome.

As you're in SE Ohio talking about "large rivers", I'll assume your looking at the Ohio and you can use either gas or electric (if you're dead set on a motor). 3-5 horse should be overkill and you can use a conventional outboard because you have good depth due to the locks (non-jet motors do not do well in shallow rivers: lower units break and they are expensive).

Batteries are heavy but so are fuel cells. If you go electric, you'll want approx 5lbs thrust for every 200 lbs of total loaded weight but, because you have to account for current, going a bit oversized is usually better. Max thrust for a 12v motor is usually around 36 lbs (approx 1/2 HP equivalent) and going larger requires more batteries.

Having said all that, the current isn't usually strong in the Ohio and can be largely avoided with smart navigation, paddles are inexpensive and a quick rest stop (or nap) recharges the power source on the cheap. Personally, I'd try paddling it this Spring and see if you really NEED a motor. (note: you DO need PFD's... Spend money wisely.)

Seth, First & foremost, Welcome.

Having said all that, the current isn't usually strong in the Ohio and can be largely avoided with smart navigation, paddles are inexpensive and a quick rest stop (or nap) recharges the power source on the cheap. Personally, I'd try paddling it this Spring and see if you really NEED a motor. (note: you DO need PFD's... Spend money wisely.)

I know nothing about canoeing so I'm curious, what do you mean by "smart navigation" do I just stick near the shore of the river to get up stream?

Suzuki 2.5 four stroke is what I'm running on a square stern. Very nice motor. Take the time to learn how to paddle to though, at some point motors crap out.

Back