• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Central michigan paddler awed by talented members

Reaction score
Found this site a few weeks ago. Greatly impressed by the talented canoe builders and experienced paddlers posting here.

Me, I just go canoeing a couple times a year, but they represent five to seven weeks of tripping. My wife and I are retired, lots of portaging doesn

Welcome Terry
There has got to be some great paddling in Michigan, as well as great canoe builders !
Looking forward to your posts !

Jim

I am going to try this again. Started to think that there was a 144 character limit. Found out that forum does not like punctuation and killed my text.

My wife and I are retired. We go canoeing twice a year, but those two times represent five to seven weeks of paddling. We prefer big water since portaging is getting harder for us.

Like other snowbirds we go to Florida to escape the cold. We spend the month of January paddling the Everglades area. Most years we complete two round trips to Flamingo and back. We probably have more then twenty five round trips over the years and have camped in every campsite and paddled every route possible.

Summers find us paddling the Great Lakes area. A favorite place for summer paddling is Isle Royale. Only pesky mammals are little red foxes who sometimes steal things like shoes, no bear or skunk or porcupines.

We have paddled around Isle Royale four times and portaged over once. Found out that it is less than a hundred miles around if you are in a hurry, but if you follow the shoreline in and out of every bay, cove, harbor and little stream, it is about 192 miles.

Thanks for accepting me, I hope I can contribute to the conversation from now and then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello Terry, and welcome.
Pretty cool that you've gone all around and over Isle Royale...I read an article about that in Wilderness Camping magazine (editor Harry Roberts, I know, I'm dating myself).
Anyway, the article mentioned that Lake Superior is the largest fresh water lake n the world, and Isle Royale is the largest freshwater island in the world...but wait, they paddled a lake on the island, which was (you can see this coming, right?) the largest fresh water lake on an island in the world...And in that lake, yup, another island! So that's an island on a lake on an island on a lake, all of them the largest of their kind.
I suppose you're in a position to verify or refute that.

If ever you decide to visit the Adirondacks, maybe I could point you to some water you would enjoy.

Ive been to that island. Not much there.

A few years ago I started the Northern forest canoe trail, but broke my seat in Vermont and had no easy fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back