• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Hello from East Tn.

Reaction score
I've been reading some on this site for a week or so, and decided to jump in. Thanks for having me. I'm from the North East part of Tennessee about 30 miles from Virginia. I've been paddling most of the rivers, and lakes, in this area for several years now. I first started with the old RamX canoe and now have a solo 13 Mohawk, and a MadRiver 15,6 tandem. Not really expensive canoes but I'm cheap...tight.... no let's call it frugal. Ha. I've a few canoe camping trips in this area, and plan on doing more in the future. Not many people in this area are big on canoes. It's sort of the bass boats and anything with a motor on it around here. I've had some look at my truck with the canoe on top and ask what it was. My wife and I do some day paddles during the warmer months, but most of the time I go solo. She doesn't like it very much when I'm alone. Anyhow, I could ramble on.

Thank y'all again for letting me in.
Roy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you Grandpa Paddler. Been reading more of everyone's post here, and feel a little inferior with my petty exploits and skill. There is lots for me to learn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard Roybrew. So you are surrounded by powerboats but you choose to paddle a canoe, and you've got both a solo and a tandem. You sound like a real paddler to me! Looking forward to hearing about your paddling experiences.

Welcome Roybrew. I don't post very much here just mainly read, but I am from East Tennessee as well so I thought I would say welcome.

Welcome Roybrew. We also have a Mohawk XL13SOLO. At least I think that's what you're saying you have. We bought ours more than 20 years ago. At the time it was considered a short boat. It's very forgiving, and floats like a cork!

Thanks Bigsiver, sorry for late reply. I've been having trouble with this one post for some reason? I was beginning to think Tn. was void of canoeing people. I haven't been out much since it's gotten hot. Been trying to get wood working projects and house maintenance done so I can start on a strip canoe. My nephew going to be in on leave middle of this month, and he's wanting to do an over night fishing and camp trip down the local river, so I hope it cools down a tittle by then.

PaddlingPitt, yes it's a Mohawk 13 solo. It wasn't stated as an XL. It isn't a white water canoe, cause I think it only has an inch and half of rocker. I bought it in 2012 from their factory in Chattanooga. I enjoy getting it out and playing on the local rivers, mostly flat to class 1. The roughest river I've been on was the Pigeon River that flows out of the North Carolina mountains, it maybe had a few class 2 rapids?

Roybrew get going on that strip canoe now! If you wait until the other chores/projects are done you may never get to it. At a minimum you'll miss another paddling season. It's a very rewarding thing to paddle a canoe you built with your own two hands!

Welcome Roybrew. We feel pretty lonesome here in Florida, canoe-wise, where it is either motor boats or kayaks.

I just drove from south Florida to Quebec and back and saw only three, THREE, canoes on the roads and they were all in Canada.

alsg, thanks for the encouragement. Lots to do. Have to get a book case finished so I can clear up some space. Seems like it's taking me forever. I fell short of some walnut for it, now I need to get more. I figured I'd see what I could for the canoe construction when I go. I would prefer white cedar, red wood or cypress "what you mentioned". Some one I work with was trying to find some cypress, so I'm waiting to hear from him.

Erica yes canoeing isn't very popular around here. Most that I work with think I'm crazy. Most here are buying kayaks. It's sort of a fad, I think. It won't be long till they are trying to sell them, because of lack of use.

Back