• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello Fellow Paddlers!

Reaction score
Hey All!

Thanks for welcoming me into the community :D

I've been paddling for just over 20 years now - first with my father (at the ripe old age of 8), and then with high school friends and eventually with friends I met on another paddling forum.

Mostly in Algonquin Park, but also in other spots around Ontario over the last 6 or 7 years (Killarney, Temagami, etc).

As it so happens I ended up getting into making paddling maps after one of my first few high school friend trips...

We'd ended up going somewhere new that was "low maintenance" and got lost as the result of a few major errors on the official map (the wrong number of bays on a lake, a portage in the wrong bay, etc). For several years after that I badgered the park about the mistakes but unfortunately nothing changed.

So, on a whim I started making edits to an old version of the official map - just for myself. Eventually, after I replaced everything that wasn't mine, I put it online to share with others.

I won't bore you with the details, but eventually I gave in and started making print copies (since people kept telling me they needed them to make full use of the map) and then when I finished university in 2012 I started doing it full time!

Again, there are some more boring details that I'll skip out on, but after stopping for a year and a bit (after some business related issues) I recently got back at it!

Anyhow, in general I try to paddle all season long, but with doing the maps it usually ends up that my longer trips are in the early spring or later summer :D

-Jeffrey

Hi Jeff, and welcome. It's good to have another maphead on board. Can never have enough of those.

So Jeff what's your next project?

Remake Algonquin and Temagami?

Any other new areas?

So Jeff what's your next project?

Remake Algonquin and Temagami?

Any other new areas?

We're aiming to Algonquin for this summer, and then a backpacking map of Killarney and another of Algonquin for earlyish next year :)

Beyond that... we have more ideas than time, so I'm not sure quite yet.

No plans for Temagami as of now.

Back