• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Wisconsin

Reaction score
Hello from Wisconsin. Just kind of waiting for spring to paddle my local river again. I've got a trip planned to the boundary waters this year, it will be my third trip up there. :D

Tim

Hi Tim !

Welcome.

Anywhere near Spooner ?
Pretty neat Museum there !

When and Where for the BWCA trip !

Jim

Hi Tim !

Welcome.

Anywhere near Spooner ?
Pretty neat Museum there !

When and Where for the BWCA trip !

Jim

Hi Jim, I'm south of Spooner, between Eau Claire and Lacrosse. I'll be traveling past Spooner on my way to the BW. My adult son and I (and my brother) are going to the Numbered Lakes in August. This is their first trip up there, although we went to Sylvania in the UP last year.

I've been to the Spooner Agricultural Station and I toured the demo garden there.

Welcome, I live just across the river south of Winona. Been on the numbered lakes more times than I can count, lots of campsites and plenty of fish. A little crowded though sometimes.

Greetings! I have recently relocated to the Tomahawk, WI area. I have heard good things about the Trempealeau river, is that your "local"? I spent a few nights (my first time) on the number chain this July. The walleye fishing was good and the crowds were much smaller than I had expected. The northern sites we visited had not yet recovered well from the fire. Sylvania is high on my list in this area, I'd love to hear about your trip. You've come to an incredibly knowledgeable place!

Greetings! I have recently relocated to the Tomahawk, WI area. I have heard good things about the Trempealeau river, is that your "local"? I spent a few nights (my first time) on the number chain this July. The walleye fishing was good and the crowds were much smaller than I had expected. The northern sites we visited had not yet recovered well from the fire. Sylvania is high on my list in this area, I'd love to hear about your trip. You've come to an incredibly knowledgeable place!

Thanks for the report on the numbered chain. I'm happy to hear that we could get into some walleyes. I was a little concerned about going back to the numbered lakes because of the fire, but the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. We wanted lots of lakes without lots of portages. We'll probably see a lot of people, but "solitude" wasn't on anyone's priority list for this trip. Number 1 on the priority list for my son was "We need to bring chairs this time." Last year we went to Crooked Lake in the Sylvania Wilderness. Sylvania has strict fishing regulations for hooks and bait, but Crooked Lake was a little more relaxed. We caught 3 fish. Perch, Crappie, and Brook Trout. But my main reason for going was the forest. It was fantastic. Huge trees, virgin forest, crystal clear water, and beautiful campsites. Sylvania is a little different from the BW, you reserve your campsite ahead of time and that is where you camp.

I plan to paddle the Trempealeau River over at Perot (someday), but my local river is the Black.

Welcome, I live just across the river south of Winona. Been on the numbered lakes more times than I can count, lots of campsites and plenty of fish. A little crowded though sometimes.

My canoe was born in Winona! I've been on the numbered lakes twice, once on my way into Lake Insula, and once on my way out to EP30. I thought it would be fun to basecamp and explore the numbered lakes a little more. I passed by so much the first time. Do you have any hotspots you can share?

Have you ever been on the Black River in the area of Brice Prairie? Canoeing the Black River from Highway 35 to the Mississippi River is on my bucket list, but the Black gets confusing downstream of 35. Do I just follow the flow? Are the maps accurate? Are there any maps?

Last edited:
Welcome Wethermit! I am a wisconsinite as well, south west corner. There are a lot of great folks here on the board, lots of tripping experience - this is a good place to be. Enjoy the forums.

Bob.

My canoe was born in Winona! I've been on the numbered lakes twice, once on my way into Lake Insula, and once on my way out to EP30. I thought it would be fun to basecamp and explore the numbered lakes a little more. I passed by so much the first time. Do you have any hotspots you can share?

Have you ever been on the Black River in the area of Brice Prairie? Canoeing the Black River from Highway 35 to the Mississippi River is on my bucket list, but the Black gets confusing downstream of 35. Do I just follow the flow? Are the maps accurate? Are there any maps?

I build canoes in Winona but probably not where you got yours. The back islands on lake three have some nice campsites and were spared from the fire. Horseshoe lake off of 3 was burned over but a fun lake to fish in.
Never canoed the Black River so can't help you much there.

Back