• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Greetings from the swamp

Reaction score
I am mostly a solo canoeist who prefers quiet and remote areas. In Florida I am fond of Fisheating Creek and the upper Suwannee River. In the north country I can be found in the ADKs or in Quebec. I've caught a redfish or two in gulf backwaters. I have a Mohawk fiberglass 15 ft that I paddle backwards and am looking for a good solo. I recognize several other posters from myccr. Good to have the focus on canoes and tripping.
Erica

Reactions: Tom
Sounds like you already have a good solo boat. A bit lighter might be nice though, eh. A number of folks here are partial to the Swift Keewaydin line, especially the 15 footer. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Like Robin, I still use a w/c canoe. Mine is a Huron though. Happy paddling.

Christine

I have found that a solo is more of a correct fit for the paddler than just what is a good solo canoe. I have owned and tripped in 3 different real nice solo canoes. I have found that the smaller the canoe the better till it is too small. If the canoe is large enough to carry me and my load without being over loaded that is the best match for me. I weigh 185 lb and I carry about 70 Lb of gear and the best boat I have paddled is a Placid RapidFire. I think the size of the person is more important than weight of the gear because most of the persons weight is above the gunnels making the canoe less stable while gear is below the gunnels making the canoe more stable. The RapidFire is more fun to paddle without the 70 Lb. of gear. Good luck finding your fit.

If you can work in a trip thru Pittsburg area on the way to the ADK, I'd suggest the Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous (WPASCR) in June. There will be 6-7 builders there with all the top solo canoes to try out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for a lighter boat being not as young as I used to be. :) And it is good to be reminded about the good fit, thanks. (I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago...now live in Florida. I am not sure why my location does not post.)

Back