• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Hello from WNY

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the site. Was brought to my attention from a user over at the BushcraftUSA forum which I’ve been a member of for quite a few years (“HeadyBrew” over there for any members that are here).

Started out more focused on backpacking but moved into canoe tripping a couple of years ago after seeing how much others were enjoying it. Now I’m hooked and caught the big big time.

Me and a buddy bought a used plastic hull, OT tandem canoe a few years back as our first, had it for about a year before selling it and buying a fiberglass Ranger 16’ tandem which we still have. I recently purchased a like-new Northstar Magic in their StarLite layup for my first solo canoe.

I’m pretty much a flat water paddler - lakes and ponds and love to fish while I’m out there. Me and friends do one ~5 day canoe trip including portage’s each summer in the Adirondacks but would like to branch out.

I’m still very much a noob and as such I’ll likely listen/read more at first, probably ask some questions, but will try to contribute where I actually have some experience and something to offer.

Thanks for having me.
JustinH

Justin (aka: HeadyBrew) - I recognize your alias from the other forum. Welcome to Canoe Tripping. I think you'll enjoy your time here. Lots of good people who are willing to share what they know; exactly what you're used to.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Welcome Justin. Great to have you here. Just wanted to let you know we have a gathering coming up Columbus day Weekend on Little Tupper Lake. We will be paddling down to the South Western part of the lake and occupying several sites. Check out the "Lets get Together" thread.

Mr. H,
Depwnding on your aspirations and abilities, there is a lifetime of paddling options in the ADK's.
I've been visiting them since the early '60's...if you have any questions, fire away.
Oh, and welcome to the forum.

No Title

stripperguy - my aspirations are huge, but my abilities lacking currently, haha! But I’m doing my best to work on them and that’s why I’m here. Most of my ADK paddling has been around the Floodwood area. But I hope to explore more of it as time allows. I’m at the far west end of the state on Lake Erie so it’s no small drive to get me there hence why it’s usually a once a summer trip but hope to try and bring that to at least twice a year and get my young son involved in the next couple of years. Unfortunately my wife isn’t much for backcountry camping.

There’s some decent options for paddling day trips around my area in lakes of various sizes but not much options for canoe camping. In fact I paddled around the Lake Erie shoreline this evening for a couple hours.

Attachments

• photo8009.jpg
    photo8009.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 0
Unfortunately my wife isn’t much for backcountry camping.

There's a lot of that, and as much as I'd like to have SWMBO with me there are trips I know she wouldn't like. We have a working relationship as to my time away canoeing.

Look to the North, Canada has a lot of paddling that might be closer.

check out WNY Paddlers on facebook. We paddle a lot of flatwater.

check out WNY Paddlers on facebook. We paddle a lot of flatwater.

Unfortunately in this case, I don’t do Facebook. Never have, not my thing. If my wife still has her account active then maybe I’ll try to check it out from hers. If there’s a weekend or evening group paddle going on, and you don’t mind keeping me in the loop, that’d be great. Besides just getting out, I’d love to learn better paddling technique from more experienced folks.

WE have a website also, but this weekends paddles aren't on it. Almost everybody goes to the facebook site and our "Board Mom" got tired of posting in 2 places. . That is one reason I got on facebook. You can just go to the facebook wny paddlers page without getting all the main page posts.

To add it's a very well run FB group. It's closed and trolling is not tolerated
Just as in this group. Turtle and I could lift off the FB page but that could cause mayhem as these forums are public

Try to join us on Little Tupper Lake, check out the gathering thread, ADK. I'm driving from downstate app 6 hours, well worth it.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the invite to the gathering next weekend. Sadly it’s up in the air as to whether I’ll need to work at least part of the weekend. But I genuinely appreciate including the “new guy” and I hope to take part in future opportunities to meet.

Back