• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Longtime Lurker Finally Joining In

Reaction score
Hey folks! As my name implies, I'm in the US Navy and, like many of us here, I like canoes. I've spent a lot of time lurking on this site while my ship is underway, and you guys are truly the bearers of a wealth of knowledge. I grew up in the cornfields of Northwest Ohio and spend a great majority of my time as a kid in the small woods out behind my house, studying everything from bird calls to game trails and fishing in the creek that ran through it. Somewhere in that 12-14 age where we flip all our priorities upside down, I lost touch with the wilderness, focusing more on playing guitar and trying really hard to get attention from girls. In the last year or so, after a long deployment that left me completely deprived of anything outdoorsy, I found myself in South Virginia with great places to canoe, camp and fish within a short distance, and a renewed hunger for everything outside. I dove back into it, a bit rustier than before, but now I love it all even more than before. Currently in the middle of a homeport shift out to South Japan, I look forward into finding the paddling culture out there and sending some trip reports your way!

Thanks for joining, but more importantly Thank You for being out there on watch for us. I hope this site comforts you while you are away from home and you enjoy the great posts by our wonderful membership while you hang up the paddle for a while.

Welcome and thanks for your service. I've seen some beautiful canoe trip reports come out of Japan. Maybe you'll get the opportunity while you are there. Stay safe.

Cheers,
Barry

Welcome NavalCanoes! You avatar looks like the Great Dismal Swamp! Like you, Uncle Sams Canoe Club brought me to the area back in the 80's (Dam Neck), and I stayed in the area. Lots of places to paddle. Give me a shout when you get back and stay safe!
Yohawk

Last edited:
Welcome, NC... I hope you'll become an active member here with lots of stories to tell. I'm looking forward to your reports and pix from Japan and when you return home.

Japanese culture is very interesting to me for it's differences... Japanese visitors here have always seemed reserved and polite, unlike many Canadians in a natural area who, in spite of Canada's reputation for being a polite nation, probably appear rude to the Japanese by comparison. Japan is one of the few places in the world I'd still like to visit, mostly for their traditional respect for nature, to see how that translates into a visit. There are stories of absolutely no littering and a respect for others that might mean campsites and campgrounds are clean and peaceful which remains to be seen... (it's an entirely different story here during the summer at the height of the season as I'm sure many are aware).

Don't forget to post photos, good luck.

NC welcome to CT. Stay safe and hopefully 'rocket man' or our wantta be king don't pull the trigger

Welcome NavalCanoes! You avatar looks like the Great Dismal Swamp! Like you, Uncle Sams Cano Club brought me to the area back in th 80's (Dam Neck), and I stayed in the area. Lots of places to paddle. Give me a shout when you get back and stay safe!
Yohawk

Yep, that is indeed the Great Dismal Swamp! I've got a trip report to post for that trip!

NC welcome to CT. Stay safe and hopefully 'rocket man' or our wantta be king don't pull the trigger

That's nice, a service member is about to deploy and he sees the Commander in Chief disparaged on this site. As a two tour combat infantry vet who knows the awful feeling of no support I will never provide a platform for these types of posts.

The bottom line is I (we) don't want to know what your opinion is about politics, religion, or anything else other than what the site name implies. If you can't respect that, go away, and don't come back. I will start taking away folks posting and pm rights if it happens again.

Last edited:
That's nice, a service member is about to deploy and he sees the Commander in Chief disparaged on this site. As a two tour combat infantry vet who knows the awful feeling of no support I will never provide a platform for these types of posts.

The bottom line is I (we) don't want to know what your opinion is about politics, religion, or anything else other than what the site name implies. If you can't respect that, go away, and don't come back. I will start taking away folks posting and pm rights if it happens again.

Thanks, Robin.

I spent the last presidential election in hostile waters off the coast of Country X, bombing the heck out of bad guys under the last president to stomp them back into the sand before they could grow. I will have no problem spending next year doing the same under the current president if I'm called to. I'm not here to play politics, I'm here to help eliminate threats.

There are no politics in the woods, anyhow, and that's what matters on this site.

Hope you get the chance to sample some Japanese culture. Our son and d-i-l hosted several Japanese exchange students the past few years who were gracious enough to share some of their every day lives with us. They taught us many things, from food to greetings, although I never got a handle on the language. We miss those young adults.

Hello Navalcanoes...you bring a common background to this forum for me. My son is a LTC(lieutenant Commander) in the Navy. He trained in Pensacloa, spent a few years in Norfolk, was a top gun.. then instructor in Fallon and is now in Portsmouth England as his career grows with our USN dept. He graduated from U of Mich. and instead of using his 2 engineering degrees, took a commission as an Ensign In the USN. He's said many times, that after 9-11, he felt a duty to our country that I I never really did. He's 32.... Oh.... we're from Lorain Oh

Hello Navalcanoes...you bring a common background to this forum for me. My son is a LTC(lieutenant Commander) in the Navy. He trained in Pensacloa, spent a few years in Norfolk, was a top gun.. then instructor in Fallon and is now in Portsmouth England as his career grows with our USN dept. He graduated from U of Mich. and instead of using his 2 engineering degrees, took a commission as an Ensign In the USN. He's said many times, that after 9-11, he felt a duty to our country that I I never really did. He's 32.... Oh.... we're from Lorain Oh

Nice to see someone from Ohio and some navy family! Is/was your son a F/A-18 pilot or something else? I'm well familiar with Navy aviation, my ship is a big-deck that handles everything from small attack choppers to Ospreys to Harriers and F-35Bs. Good stuff to be around, really gets that red, white, and blue flowing in the veins.

Back