• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

OCDave from Minneapolis

Reaction score
I have been following this site anonymously for a few months but, as I have been compelled to start posting I thought it would be proper to introduce myself.

While I am new to paddling, I have been backpacking, camping and adventuring for the past 30 years. Thanks to much lighter gear, the maturing of my kids and my discovery of hammocks, I have hiked more and camped more in my 50's than I was able in my 20's. Over the past 5-7 years, I have expanded my hiking experience from the upper Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan) to include experiences in Montana, Wyoming and Utah.

In recent years, more and more of my hiking trips have been solo. Lighter gear, has allowed me to hike farther and faster and, find more secluded sites. However, whenever I would see those "paddle in" campsites on my map I would feel disheartened that those sites were out of my reach.

To rectify that problem, I purchased my first canoe, a Northstart Northwind Solo, this summer. I paddle the "Milfoil Farms" of South Minneapolis every day, (Lakes Harriet, Calhoun, Cedar, Brownie and Lake of the Isles). While I am no Bill Mason, I have become a proficient enough paddler that I am ready to begin canoe tripping solo.

I have learned much already from following this site. And look forward to learning more.

Dave

Welcome to the Forum, Dave. This is, as you know, a most excellent site populated by folks of every ilk, interest, geographic location, etc. With boating forever on their collective minds..!

Good stuff, good people.

Back