• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hello from Maryland

Reaction score
I live in the Gaithersburg, MD area and found this site about 2 weeks ago while researching gear to take on a guided 5 day trip on the Allagash River (from Churchill Dam to Allagash Village), September 25-29! Other than an easy over-nighter along the Potomac River in western Maryland earlier this summer, this will be my first canoe camping trip since I was kid at summer camp. I'm now in my early 50s. For some reason the bug bit me a couple of years ago and I decided to build a 16 ft tandem cedar strip canoe. This was my second season paddling it. If the Allagash doesn't cure me of this canoe camping obsession, I'm thinking about Assateague Island in October....

Welcome from another Marylander! Camping at the backcountry sites at Assateague is nice in the off season when the bugs are gone. The Patuxent River also has paddle - in campsites (reservations required). Both require that you pack in your fresh water as there are no sources available.
Have fun on the Allagash!
Regards,
Dave

Welcome from another Marylander! Camping at the backcountry sites at Assateague is nice in the off season when the bugs are gone. The Patuxent River also has paddle - in campsites (reservations required). Both require that you pack in your fresh water as there are no sources available.
Have fun on the Allagash!
Regards,
Dave

How's the Pax compare to the Potomac? I really liked the Paw Paw Bends (and Dam 4 to Sheppardstown) on the Potomac!

Who are you going with for a Guide?
I know several who do that trip
With any of them you are doomed. Er hooked
Right now you need to accept you will have a canoeing line item in your household budget

I live in the Gaithersburg, MD area and found this site about 2 weeks ago while researching gear to take on a guided 5 day trip on the Allagash River (from Churchill Dam to Allagash Village), September 25-29! Other than an easy over-nighter along the Potomac River in western Maryland earlier this summer, this will be my first canoe camping trip since I was kid at summer camp. I'm now in my early 50s. For some reason the bug bit me a couple of years ago and I decided to build a 16 ft tandem cedar strip canoe. This was my second season paddling it. If the Allagash doesn't cure me of this canoe camping obsession, I'm thinking about Assateague Island in October....

Well, a belated "welcome to the Forum" to you!
Let's see that stripper, and don't skip the details...which design, weight, wood, trim. Some of us (ahem, me) need all the details.
And why not add a day or so to your trip and visit the ADK's? Fall is the absolute best time of the paddling season.

No Title

To answer the question posed by stripperguy (and I thought this was a family site :rolleyes:), my canoe, "A Slow Boat to Nowhere," is a 16 foot Wabnaki model designed by Gil Gilpatrick. Mine is cedar, with sappele used for the seats, yoke, gunnels and decks. There's a little wedge of maple on the decks and maple plugs covering the screws in the gunnels. It is covered with 6 oz. S-glass, with an extra layer both inside and outside on the "football." It came in at 65 lbs.

I blogged the very slow build (hence the name "A Slow Boat to Nowhere") over at the Shopsmith Forum: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/ge...re-t14954.html

Photos...

Attachments

• photo7834.jpg
    photo7834.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7840.jpg
    photo7840.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7841.jpg
    photo7841.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7842.jpg