• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Intro from NW Indiana

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the site and was happy to find a Canoe-trip specific site like this! After raising 2 daughters and putting some of my wanderings on hold, I'm now 55 and approaching mandatory retirement. I am an avid outdoorsman, upland and deer hunter, fly fisherman and camping enthusiast. With retirement looming, I found a pack canoe to go with my square stern family canoe and the Necky Tandem sea Kayak. I needed a boat I could throw on the car for quick trips and portage easily with gear.

I have a lot of trips in planning, including a trip at the end of the month to the Nipigon, ON area. Hopefully my future posts will bring a smile.

Best,
DanOver

=Thank you, guys! Mandatory retirement for me is 57, so I'm easing into it. I tell my bones I'm young, but its not the years, its the mileage. Just coming off a fractured heel and after surviving those circumstances, decided it's time to start doing the things I've been planning for years. The retirement "present to myself will be a canoe trip in N. Ontario to Hudson Bay, I think. Gives me a reason to work hard in rehab.
The Lab is ready for me to retire and hunt more too.

Thanks Cary! I have bird hunted down there but not canoed it. What do you find interesting about Willow Slough? I am actually interested in hitting the Calumet going through Portage/Lake Station and Gary.... Although the Gary leg may be more like "have gun will travel". 8>)

Lot of peace and quiet down at Willow Slough, and a camp ground.. I'm just not into the noise and hustle and bustle up this way. Wolf Lake has canoeing too but I-80 runs right through it. I would be tempted to do the Calumet out this way if it had some access (and cleaner water). My dog drank that water as a pup and it was not pretty at all. Looked like a poop grenade went off in her kennel. Not really into rivers yet.

​Weather is looking good for my maiden camping trips. First is at Slough, this week, then I am going to Chain O Lakes State park. Tippecanoe SP looks great too and has several canoe only camping spots.

best wishes,

It has been over 20 years; however, the Pigion River in the far northeast corner of the state used to offer a nice slow river paddle with camping opertuniities. At the time, there was at least one private camp ground and a SRA in the area. The river had a sieries of mill ponds and dams to create impoundments.

As far as Tippecanoe, it is a very nice state park, been there many times; however, we have never floated the river. I have looked at options for an extended river trip down the tippi, and it is possible with a number of private and state run campgrounds to make it a multi day trip.

Cary,

Thanks. Once again, I've bird hunted over in Pigeon River and always see the canoe rental place along the way. I will have to take a look at a Kankakee float for an initial river run here.

Back