• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New from RI

Reaction score
I was actually led to this site responding to an ad on craigslist. I am looking for information on a canoe that I acquired last fall from a friend. It needs some work and I'm looking for some restoration tips. Is there a restoration catagory?

No Title

Attachments

• photo6597.jpg
    photo6597.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6598.jpg
    photo6598.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6599.jpg
    photo6599.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 0
I have seen these canoes before but for the life of me I can't remember their name...fiberglass shell with wood ribs. From what I see, the wood looks solid, but I could be wrong. If the wood is good a sanding with 100 or 150 grit and a few coats of varnish (light sanding between coats). I would sand the exterior (150 grit) and paint it with Interlux Briteside paint (sanding between coats) using 4" foam brushes. This is just what I can see from these pics, but feel free to post more pics.

I've got one just like that one. Yours is in far better shape. I may get to working on it someday, but I'm not looking forward to it. I don't even count it as a member of the fleet.

A Mansfield canoe made for Stowe's, a Merrimack knock off made in the 70's?. I believe they used mahogany for the veneer ribs and outer gunnels. I understand the keel is screwed/ glued on.

Good info. Would this be worth restoring or should I just run it as is?

The hull coating would be gel coat, not paint. The ribs are veneer, 1/16" thick. I would lightly sand the interior and put a coat of epoxy or vinyl ester to keep the veneer from coming off. The gunnels and decks could be replaced but if it floats and looks aren't a big deal you could just use it. Does look though that at least the outer gunnels and decks have some rot in them.

Good info. Would this be worth restoring or should I just run it as is?

Is the keel line straight or is it hogged? I have seen two hogged. I helped restore one for re sale but it didn't get much interest and he just paid for his out lay.
They do look nice when done though, here's a guy who restored one similar to your, that outter stem might be a tough one. Maybe youcan leave it off?
http://www.villageboatshop.com/stowecanoe.html

No Title

I'm not sure what you mean by is the keel hogged.

Attachments

• photo6602.jpg
    photo6602.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 0
Hogged means the stems run deeper in the water than the middle.

Easy way to tell, is tip the boat upside down. Stretch a string from end to end on the keel, if it is Hogged, there will be a gap in the middle.

Not usually a big issue, it will be a little slower, but will track better.

Jim

I replaced the trim on a Stowe Mansfield once. It was kind of a pain since the outwales and inwales were secured with ring nails and the screws holding the keel on were imbedded in the fiberglass in the floor of the canoe. I used a forstners bit to unearth the heads, installed a new keel, and refilled the screw head holes with epoxy. I used a plug cutter to cut around each ring nail to remove the rails and pulled the nails out later. I used Petit EZpoxy one part polyurethane paint - Jade green on the hull.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. what type of wood would be best to use for the keel? I put a string across it this afternoon and it appears have a quarter inch gap so I guess it's hogged.

Thanks for the info. what type of wood would be best to use for the keel? I put a string across it this afternoon and it appears have a quarter inch gap so I guess it's hogged.

1/4" for a 40 year old boat isn't bad at all. If it's in decent shape I would just refinish it and leave it be.

Back