• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

PA boy transplanted to Western NY

Reaction score
I got turned onto this site from my dad, Grandpa Paddler. I lurk more than I post, but I enjoy seeing everyone's trips and toys. I never seem to get enough time to do the things I enjoy, so I live vicariously through others.

Bard, there is lots of water to explore in WNY, I lived out there for a number of years before moving back to the ADKs. I was impressed with the variety of places to paddle, fish, hike and recharge the batteries. I'm sure you will find a way to get out and enjoy some of it. BTW the easiest winters I ever had were in WNY, it snows like crazy but spring comes much earlier and it is not as cold as it gets here in the ADK's ..

I got turned onto this site from my dad, Grandpa Paddler. I lurk more than I post, but I enjoy seeing everyone's trips and toys. I never seem to get enough time to do the things I enjoy, so I live vicariously through others.

I do try to get the boy out but he has to participate in that dirty 4 letter word... work!

Bard , Enjoy , Enjoy ! I'm sure the apple don't fall far from the tree so Get the old man out. He might have learned a trick or two . I've just Camped with Him once & picked up a few.

Bard , Enjoy , Enjoy ! I'm sure the apple don't fall far from the tree so Get the old man out. He might have learned a trick or two . I've just Camped with Him once & picked up a few.

Thanks Ed, I appreciate your thought. But... even a blind dog occasionally finds a bone. Next time someone plans a trip I can do, I'll try to get him (and maybe his son) to come along.

On Facebook there is a Western New York Paddlers Group.. Almost all single bladers who paddle a lot.. Each weekend there is something going.Sunday.they are doing a trip on the Conewango.. They are a paddling group, not a floating group.

FB doesn't bit. I only have family, relatives and old school mates. You don't have to 'Friend' anyone just use it for canoeing.

Sounds like another Lows trip is in order, maybe several.
I might doLows in April with the hot tent but that's very weather/ice dependent and I leave at a days notice.
For me May is tough I'm gone in mid May to Maine for 8 days.
I would do June.
But you guys don't need me to get together.

Sept for sure!!

They are a paddling group, not a floating group.

Haha. Them's fightin words around these parts. Float trips, the Ozark regional pastime. I'm all too familiar with the "float" stigma and I have certainly participated in such booze fueled downriver expeditions, but I can't help myself growing up around here, that's just what we call all river canoeing.

Sorry to get off topic, inevitable on this forum though. Anyway, welcome aboard Bard. I too work, but try to get out as much as possible. Short trips mostly, unless I get a lucky stint of unemployment. The beauty of having a retired paddling father is he can load all the gear, so all you have to do is jump in the truck after work.

I make the floating distinction because I met up with the Cambridge Ancient Mariners on the Buffalo.. My group had broken up due to injuries and everyone else had pulled out. They said I could paddle with them but they said " We're paddlers, not floaters" So yup I learned that in the Ozarks!
The Rendezvous group ( Ozark) has paddlers too.. Some do 18 mile river days. Others do half that not because they don't paddle or they drink ( they don't on the river) but there is Lunch 1, Lunch 2, Lunch 3 and back at camp High Tea. Eating cuts down on paddling.

So maybe there are floaters, paddlers and eaters..

yep, looking foreword to Sundays paddle. Be sure to come to Canoeapoluza this summer.
Turtle

I'm chompin at the bit,...

ME TOO!!! Haven't been released for normal activity yet, but I have an appointment with my surgeon on the 12th and am hoping for the best. He told me before surgery that I would be able to canoe this year. I may have to rely on the Wandering Bard for assistance on the first couple outings. Adult kids are the greatest thing since grandkids:D

Back