• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Hello from central British Columbia, Canada.

Reaction score
Cariboo Mountains, British Columbia, Canada
I was born and raised in Newfoundland and have been living in BC for ten years now. My family had a 12' Sportspal growing up but never used it much. I purchased my first canoe in 1999. A demo 16' Penobscot rx. I still have it. Over the years it was slowly modified and turned into a solo boat., but I've always longed for a true solo canoe.

I live a half an hours drive from the Bowron Lake circuit, so that's where most of my paddling over the last ten years has been. I've done it twice with a friend, and five solo trips. All have been in October when the park is closed, except once in April, also when the park is closed. I usually stay out there for 10 days. I'm too busy in the summer, and I don't think I would enjoy all the people anyways.

I got more serious about getting a solo canoe last year and started saving money. I am planning an extended solo trip for 2020. I mentioned to a friend about the boat I was getting ( 14' kevlar/duraflex Clipper Prospector with a Northwater spray deck ) and he mentioned that a friend of his has the same boat, plus a half dozen others and might sell it. After a couple of months of waiting, I finally made the purchase in Sept 2016. The funny thing is I had already read about, and seen pictures of this boat before. I love reading about the places people have explored up north, be it hundreds of years ago or more recent. In 2001 Paul VanPeenen, a photographer from Maple Ridge, BC, re-created part of John Franklin's 1821 Arctic Land Expedition. Paul paddled and portaged from Fort Enterprise to Point Lake, then down the Coppermine river into the Arctic Ocean, along the Coronation Gulf to Bathurst Inlet, and the mouth of the Hood River. I think in the summer of 2002 he used the same boat on the Hood river, and the Burnside River, until meeting friends and continuing in two Clipper tandems down the Mara River. This boat has some history. Clipper loaned him the boat, and when it was returned and cleaned up they sold it to the gentleman that I purchased it from. My friend who told me about the boat paddled the Coppermine in 2001 and met Paul and camped with him for a night. Small world.

Cheers for now, Andrew.

Attachments

• photo6351.jpg
    photo6351.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo6356.jpg
    photo6356.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Nice looking boat you've got yourself there. Nice to get one that's already trained.

Do you have any destinations in mind for your 2020 trip?

Alan

Thanks for the welcome Alan. The plan is a solo cross Canada trip from Alberta ( North Saskatchewan River ), to Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. I have the whole route pretty much figured out, but still not sure on all the details. I won't be crossing into the U.S. anywhere ( like the Grand Portage ), and I'll definately be walking onto the ferry to Newfoundland with my boat. Maybe hitch a ride onto the ferry if that makes more sense. This trip may contain some non human powered sections, but I don't care. I'll do whatever it takes to finish in one season.

The other trip I was considering was a circumnavigation of Newfoundland but I've never heard of anyone doing it in a canoe. I've done plenty of shorter ocean trips in Newfoundland years ago, but the weather is pretty insane sometimes and more suited to a sea kayak. You won't get me into one of those.

Last edited:
Hi CC
If you go down the Ottawa River, I'll come up and buy you a beer in Portage du fort, Quebec. Sounds like a great trip.

Thanks for the welcome Alan. The plan is a solo cross Canada trip from Alberta ( North Saskatchewan River ), to Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. I have the whole route pretty much figured out, but still not sure on all the details. I won't be crossing into the U.S. anywhere ( like the Grand Portage ), and I'll definately be walking onto the ferry to Newfoundland with my boat. Maybe hitch a ride onto the ferry if that makes more sense. This trip may contain some non human powered sections, but I don't care. I'll do whatever it takes to finish in one season.

The other trip I was considering was a circumnavigation of Newfoundland but I've never heard of anyone doing it in a canoe. I've done plenty of shorter ocean trips in Newfoundland years ago, but the weather is pretty insane sometimes and more suited to a sea kayak. You won't get me into one of those.

aah you need another canoe.. Find the Mad River Monarch thread. I spent five weeks in NL with mine.. Not all the days were paddling..

here is how one paddler did a trip from Port au Port to L'Anse Aux Meadows in a sea canoe.

http://www.zollitschcanoeadventures.com/articles/newfoundland.html

Good luck with doing that in a 14 foot. Talk to Alan about big solos. Nice canoe though. I use a 15/ 15.5 depending on my mood. It is no accident that a 16 foot PAL was considered the iconic solo tripping canoe for so long. At least up here anyway.

We may be able to help you with logistical support when you reach MB. Shuttle, resupply help, rest stop etc. Thats a pretty ambitious trip.

Christy

No Title

Thanks yellow canoe for your reply. The Newfoundland trip was considered and then I decided against it. I was considering a Clipper Sea-1 for that trip. It is similar to the Monarch. But I really wanted a proper canoe.

And thanks for that link. Awesome story and pictures. I grew up in that area of Newfoundland.

Here is the Sea-1.

Andrew

Attachments

• photo6361.jpg
    photo6361.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi Christy. I have already been checking out some of Alan's posts. What is your concern with a 14' canoe ? Do you think it doesn't have enough room for gear or that it's not safe enough ? I welcome any opinions, but this is for sure the boat I'll be using. I have done some practice packing this winter, and feel confident I have enough room.

Also, thank you for your offer of support. This is why I joined this site. To connect with other paddlers and learn what I can. Everyone on here seems very friendly and civilized. And locals can tell you much more than a map or book. Where in Manitoba are you located ?

I'll agree that this is an ambitious trip. I have also been thinking that the end of the trip might be in the bar on the ferry to Newfoundland.

Cheers, Andrew

Last edited:
if its the St Barbe ferry.. no time for booze.. A short trip.. Marine Atlantic OTOH.. breaks down so often you can have a jolly party.

I'm gobsmacked over Newfoundland.. So far we have spent three months there in two years and not yet made it to Labrador.

Id check with Mike Ranta out of Atikokan ON, Andrew. He just completed a cross Canada solo for Canadian Vets but his terminus was Cape Breton. He had a little longer canoe since he was paddling on the Great Lakes. I think that your canoe is a fine canoe but not quite of sufficient volume for Great Lakes travel. Mike does have a website.

The reason for a larger canoe is not gear room but the depth of the waterline. While there will be more windage with a 16 footer it allows more safety in freeboard over a 14 footer , which with the same weight will be sunk lower in the water.

We'll be back in your area this year. Curiously I have of course heard of the Bowron Lakes circuit but never done it. We will again do a trip to the Yukon and return via the Stewart Cassiar Highway down to the States. Tell me more about that circuit. I am trying to justify bringing a boat vs renting.

Last edited:
No Title

Thanks again yellow canoe for your input. I will taking the longer ferry to Port Aux Basque. Do you believe that the Great Lakes will be the most dangerous section ?

I'm very familiar with Mike's adventures. Truly an amazing guy who has my respect. I believe his 2014 trip was in an 18 foot Souris River canoe. Not sure about his 2011 and 2016 trips. They looked similar. I definitely won't be traveling as heavy as Mike though, who is a lot bigger than I am. I only weigh 145 pounds, and Mike also had his dog to carry. Not to mention the dog's food. I am also a minimalist when it comes to packing. Although I do love a huge luxurious Thermarest when I canoe.

The 14' Prospector is deeper in the bow, stern, and center than Mike's boat. 21" bow and stern, and 15" in the center. It has 9" of freeboard with a 400 pound load, which is more weight than I'll have. Also, he didn't have a proper spray deck. Please understand, I'm not trying to poo-poo your reply, these are just my observations, and I welcome more of your input.

Concerning Bowron, if you are going to rent anything I advise you to go to Bear River Mercantile on Bowron Lake. Dick and Sandy Phillips treat everyone like family. Sandy grew up here and has been studying the local flora and fauna her whole life. Great to talk to. You can rent many types of canoes and other equipment there. The fancier kevlar canoes just cost more. It would still be nice to use your own stuff though, if you're like me. I guess you could rent only the canoe and bring everything else. It is truly an amazing place but not true wilderness. Designated sites with crappy outhouses. Fantastic timberframe shelters. Lots of people in July and August. But the mountains and glaciers are awesome. The best time is in May or September, or when the park is closed in October. Freeze up could happen any time in October ( usually late Oct ), when I'm usually out there. Had one trip with 4 nights in a row of -15 C ( 5 F ). Lots of ice walking and lining. I'll be heading out there again in 5 weeks.

Here are some of my pictures to entice you.

Attachments

• photo6362.jpg
    photo6362.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6363.jpg
    photo6363.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6364.jpg
    photo6364.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6365.jpg
    photo6365.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6366.jpg
    photo6366.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Wow, that sounds like a great trip.

I think you're boat will be fine. Less volume than I'm used to but I lug around a dog and am not traveling where I can resupply. Sounds like you'll be in and out of civilization fairly regularly so you don't have to carry 45 days of food at a time. One of our members just did 20+ days soloing the Grand Canyon in a 14' canoe and he had to lug around a fire pan and poop tube to meet regulations. He also had a big sleeping pad. Packing light you should be sitting pretty.

Alan

Yes Mike had a plywood spray deck.. His bow wow companion Spitzi wasn't very big. What Mike did and I am sure you will too is being conservative on when to go and when to stay in camp and that is probably more important than any particular boat. We met up with Mike on Lake Superior ( on a dead calm day!)

I am working on hubby to bring our 18 foot Souris RIver canoe.. Kevlar.. His concern is lugging it across the Great Plains with its high winds. Last time the tower on the roof rack broke. However we now have three extra towers. We will be going cross canada( by car! and trailer) doing a short segment on the Yukon ( simply cause last time we did not go to Lake Laberge and I want to paddle Lake Laberge..talk about fixated on a certain 50 km!) doing some paddling somewhere in Alaska ( day trips probably) and coming back through BC cause I have a need to go back to Big Salmon Glacier and record how it is doing.. ( outside Stewart BC)

Re Bowron: Reservations necessary ( Sept arrival likely)? Do we have to bring anything special like firepan and crapbox? Or is it hopefully more like Algonquin. I understand we can cart the canoe.. We don't travel heavy.. tent tarp small backpacking stove freeze dried food.. Usual 5 day outing gear comes in about 45 lbs.
Carting is a nicety.. Usually we are in areas where we portage.. We do have a cart however.

I am most familiar with the coast of Superior between Thunder Bay and the Soo.. Resupply requires some planning.. Marathon( groceries), is not right on the water. Wawa(groceries) is not either. Terrace Bay is close but lacks a decent market but there is one. Those have groceries.. The last 250 km between Wawa and the Soo is groceryless. Hitching a ride to town where the town is not on the water is likely possible. Stop by at Naturallly Superior Adventures.. Someone likely will take you to Wawa.. ( plus they have awesome food that is not expensive themselves.. camp on their beach).. If you want to mail your own food for resupply David Wells of NSA might receive your package.

You will note other towns. Rossport does not have a store.. Nor Michipicoten nor Montreal Harbor..

The North Channel Lake Huron is more civilized with resupply easy..Same for Killarney.

You have three years to plan and planning is half the fun!

My concern with a 14 foot canoe is much the same as YC. Freeboard with any sort of load. Once you hit bigger lakes it makes a difference. Spray decks are fine but a well loaded canoe, past it optimum, is also a canoe that does not handle to its intended potential either. Try it out heavily loaded and see how it goes, maybe find a shallow lake on a windy day to check out larger waves.

I prefer a little longer canoe for handling also. More streamlined and tracks better with the same load. Thats all.

We are in Winnipeg area. How are you thinking of getting across the prairies? At some point you will be crossing either Lake Manitoba or Lake Winnipeg? The lakeshore areas are not well populated and again, resupply may be tricky. You could always mail us a food drop. Also, in early spring the prairie rivers here are flood swollen and dangerous to travel with high water and fast current. Figure that into your itinerary.

On the Superior route there is the provincial park at Pancake BAy, just north of the Sault, where you could get a shower and some provisions just across the highway. Pre planning is great but sometimes the best adventures come from winging it a bit.

This is going to be pretty cool.

Christy

I forgot about the Pancake Bay store.. Its got a lot of jerky.. Not much real food so if you are hankering for something fresh.. nope.. The Voyageurs Motel Batchawana Bay has a good restaurant.. just walk across the road.

My real fear for you is culture shock at the Canadian Carver stores... every tourist for miles around will be there with their tidy whities...

The Canadian Carver is something for sure. I should put some of my carvings in there. Some nice stuff though if you look hard enough.

Welcome to the forums.

yellowcanoe

I always take it easy when traveling alone. There is no sense risking your life to gain a few km. I'm not the kind of person who rushes into things. I want to take a proper first aid course also, and add to my already huge first aid kit.

I don't think you will need resevations in September, but it wouldn't hurt to call and see how busy they are anyways. It is usually slow in Sept.
The only thing you absolutely have to take is the heavy duty trash bag they provide, an axe ( they will want to see it, or they will rent you one ), and your pfd. They will put a tag on your bow stating the gear that can be in the boat during the portage if you use a cart. There is a weight limit of 60 lbs I think to reduce trail damage. Anything over 60 lbs gets carried. If you don't use a cart or if you are using a kayak they do not weigh your gear. I have always used a cart here but I think I might double carry this next trip. There was so much blow down on the trails last April that I was cursing the cart often. I was the second person around and the trails had not been cleaned up at all. The park was still closed. Sounds like you guys will do fine in the weight department. I've heard of and seen people out there not having much fun because they brought too much gear.

I really like that area of Lake Superior. I have driven through there many times and always enjoyed stopping to explore on foot. Last time in early December 2016. It must have been 30 below. Didn't do any exploring that time. Thank you for your interest and all the info on the stores. I will write it in my map book.

Andrew

Christy

I definitely would not paddle overloaded. I am always thinking about safety. There are not many 14' canoes suitable for a trip like this, but the Prospector is one of them. I'll have about 10 inches of freeboard, which is tons. Tracking is a lot different than I am used to. This is a very responsive boat, but will make me a better paddler. One thing I really enjoy are calm days when I would solo my Penobscot from the stern seat. I'll miss that. I might put one in my Prospector.
And I have the perfect lake for playing around just a 5 or 10 minute walk from my house. It's a a couple of km long, and has a small dock with large shallow area.

The plan right now is the North Saskatchewan to Lake Winnipeg and on to Kenora. The part of my route not filled in yet is the section from Kenora to the Thunder Bay area. I am also thinking about portaging to the Matapedia River in Quebec, and paddling down to Chalure Bay, therefore avoiding the paddle around the Gaspe Peninsula. I need to look into this further.

Thanks for your help and offer of a food drop. Who knows, I may be mailing you a big box of food someday.

Andrew

Last edited:
Hi Mihun09, thanks for the welcome.

yellowcanoe, speaking of culture shock. I'm the hermity type, My three main reasons for stopping will be to accept hospitality when it feels right, to explore the wilds or maybe some historic sites ( I'm into that sort of stuff ), and to purchase food, or any needed supplies. I'll have no problem not seeing anyone for weeks at a time. I'm sure there will be areas with plenty of people too, so hopefully it will balance out and I'll only get mild culture shock.

Andrew

Back